IGNORED

Motocom RiderLink ST-1 Intercom Review

Several folks knew that I was buying the Motocom Riderlink intercom system and I promised a review after I had the chance to test it. All in all I would have to say that I am pleased with the system, even at highway speeds it works pretty well as it allows conversation between the driver and passenger with little effort. The product comes well packaged and has enough extra connections to allow a MP3 player, cell phone, GPS, and CB to be hooked up to the unit. The built in FM radio has some drawbacks, actually to be honest it's pretty much useless. Sound quality and reception are very poor. The biggest problem that I have run into is the adhesive that holds the Velcro to the helmet and to the mike boom will not work with many helmets. I and my spouse wear Fulmer helmets and the plastic located right behind the padding is very slick. I ended up using "Liquid Nails" to hold the small patch of Velcro to the inside of the helmet. The only additional thing I believe the manufacture could do is either boost the volume between the driver and passenger or add a volume control. In heavy traffic it was a little hard to hear the passenger but it was still acceptable. In stop and go traffic (common in the Seattle area) I open the helmet visor all the way for air and added volume would have been nice.

If your looking for an inexpensive intercom system I would recommend this product, but shop around! Prices ranged from 149.00 to 225.00. At last check 6/13/09, CB world out of Oregon had 4 units remaining.

I picked this up too. My review:

Volume is adequate, but more power would be better.

You BETTER have the connector arrows 1,000% lined up. Girlfriend bent a pin already (I was able to fix it).

Can not see black arrows in low light (I will add glow paint)

The FM is worthless, but with MP3, AUX on bike that is no issue (except volume mentioned above). I choose to run MP3 thru Venture AUX and speakers and keep intercom separate).

The cell phone feature is REALLY COOL...(again more volume would be better)

Mic's are good size and decent quality.

Ear speakers are a bit LARGE and still trying to work them in better.

Works out to be about $85.00 per helmet which is Mid-Range on price scale.

Researched the HECK out of wireless and bluetooth options and all I can say is "THEY are not there yet for me".

I called then inquiring about a 4 to 5 pin cable for Bike. Waiting a call back on that.

Fits very well in the leather pocket on the back of my Diamond-R Backrest.

Edited by frogmaster
added some more info

• 2 weeks later...

I have just installed a Starcom1 unit, have seceral options and the sound adjust auntomatically, (look up Starcom1 on Google or there are ssome domo's On Youtube.

Does not have a built I FM radio, but can have a UHF CB / Phone / Ipod or MP# player/ GPS. Volume adjusts itself and works great. Check them out.

:lightbulb:

I did research the Starcom 1 and it seems to be an excellent unit. The only problem I saw was the price. I paid around $150.00 for the Riderlink and after using it for the past few weeks I would have to say it "adequate" for the job given the price. Like many things you get what you pay for and for the price it's not a bad unit. My only concern was, and continues to be, the level of volume between the passenger and driver. When hooked to an MP3 or cell phone the volume is excellent because the MP3 or cell phone has better output to the master box. My first choice would have been the Chatterbox, but once again price was the deciding factor.