IGNORED

Brake Pads

plainmd

I am sure this has been talked about but would love to have some input...I need to replace my Brake pads on my 06 Midnight venture. There is so many diffent pads out there so would like some input on type and good places to buy them from.

Your bike came with the stock Yamaha organic pads which combine average stopping power with minimal wear to the rotors, with that being said I have found that the aftermarket EBC "sintered" HH pads increase the stopping power considerably, but you do pay somewhat of a price in the lifespan of the rotor. My thought on this is it would be better to stop faster and LIVE long enough to wear out a set of rotors than to NOT stop fast enough and not be around but have a set of like new rotors on my bike.:confused24: I have seen sets of EBC pads on Ebay for a good price and I buy mine from Chris @ Flatout Motorsports, here's the link:

http://www.flatoutpowersports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=198898&category=Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=1983&fveh=4522

Be sure to select Aftermarket Parts so you don't end up with the stock pads. If you have trouble selecting the right pads you can call Chris @ 1-765-342-6335 and he will tell you what part numbers you need, Tell him you are with VR.ORG and skydoc_17 refereed you. He is very friendly and very knowledgeable.

Hope this helps,

Earl

EBC HH pads. I just ordered mine from Motorcycle Superstore, with free shipping. I'm sure you might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere, but I chose M/C Superstore for the free shipping. Mine should be here today, and hope to have them installed this weekend.

I just bought a set of EBC organic pads for my '01. I would normally buy the HH "sintered" pads for the better friction rating at the expense of a little more rotor wear, but in this case I decided to go with the organic pads.

Here's my reasoning. I read some threads here about the rear brakes being REALLY strong on our bikes. So strong that they may have contrubuted to some accidents! There has even been a product developed by Rick Butlar to reduce the amount of brake pressure produced by the rear brake. You can read more about it here.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/979/cat/7

I haven't decided whether to mod my brakes with the proportioning valve or not. Unfortunately I may not realize it was a good idea until AFTER I experience a panic stop locking up my rear brakes! This information was enough for me to decide to go with the organic pads for a little less friction to compensate for the powerful RSV rear brakes.

Here's a comment from the EBC web site...

Organic pads have attracted many enthusiasts because of the way they work. They are inherently “Softer” easier on rotors and have a brake “feel” preferred by many riders.

This is one of those "personal choice" things that each rider will have to decide for their self. There is not one right or wrong choice. Some may want to add the "Butler Mod" and/or choose organic or sintered pads, others may decide to leave the stock brake hydraulics and choose organic or sintered pads.

This is my .02 and YMMV

James

Thanks for all the good info saw this on the dennis kirk website and wondered why

NOTE: Never use sintered metal brake pads in calipers originally equipped with non-sintered brake pads. Check your owners manual to see if sintered metal brake pads are standard equipment on your motorcycle