I have an iPod mini. I bought a cellphone case that fit. I taped the belt clip to my brake fluid reservoir using double-sided tape and ran a tie-wrap around it for extra security. Then, I could simply click my iPod in and out of the belt clip. Rode tens of thousands of kms that way.

I also had a wire going into the fairing to connect to the AUX.

Now I have a Zumo...

I use a ram mount. They have a holder for the ipod touch that fits perfectly. I then use the headphone output on the ipod to feed my intercom and the standard 12 volt charger to power the ipod. The whole thing comes off easily and goes into the saddlebag when I stop and have to leave the bike unattended. I don't worry about waterproofing. If it starts to rain I have to stop and put my rain gear on anyway so I just put the ipod in the saddlebag until the rain stops. Same goes for my GPS.

• 2 years later...

I use my iphone as a gps and have it mounted on my right handlebar in one of these. I also have it in an oetter box, this claimes water resistant but it gets moisture inside when I ride in the rain. The bottom has a rubber gromet that I run my power to my cigarette lighter. Cheap and holds it nice.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arkon-Universal-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-with-Water-Resistant-Smartphone-Holder/15406272

I second RAM mounts, I first used it on my VTX for my ipod and now my smart phone which is a Motorola X Droid, I have it mounted on my 07 RSTD. I love the ability to listen to my music, hands free phone and GPS navigation.