Them new-fangled CD thingies are just a flash in the pan, probably never catch on.

Seriously, as long as you provide a switch to open the short between pin 1 and 7 on the cassette data cable (allowing THAT cable's audio to route through the main amp), you should be able to pipe the CD's audio straight through.

Mine is an 83 Standard that did not come with a radio, but had one in it when I got it. I put a Blaupunt in mine several years ago along with 4 speakers. It does sound very good. I had to make the holder as the old Cycle Sound plastic holder was cracked bad.

I am not sure how much you can use if you have a Royale.

RandyA

IMHO

I wouldnt suggest a cd player, just get something that will allow you to hook up flash drives or mp3 players to it. I have the Kenwood unit in 85 and have only used a cd once or twice as I find it skips plus you gotta store the cd's somewhere. I have a flashdrive input on the back of the Kenwood and load my 8 gig flash drive full of music and ride. 8 gigs hold a ton of music and it doesnt skip and you dont have to carry it around.

I am actually going back to my OEM unit this week as I really miss the speed sensitive volume and the mute button up on the handlebars. I was going to add an mp3 player into the cassette wiring.

Also, I found that buying something with real good quality was kinda pointless as the wind and engine noise really diluted the quality of the sound that you can hear.

Brian

What really makes a difference is if you use the intercom. If not, then just find a nice aftermarket stereo, PREFERRABLY a waterproof Marine one, and fabricate a mounting plate. After you get rid of the stock radio there is plenty of room. You will also loose your CB though doing it that way unless you have an AUX conector, and then you can only listen to the CB or a CD, or the radio...

Yes it has been done many times.

Mine is an 83 Standard that did not come with a radio, but had one in it when I got it. I put a Blaupunt in mine several years ago along with 4 speakers. It does sound very good. I had to make the holder as the old Cycle Sound plastic holder was cracked bad.

I am not sure how much you can use if you have a Royale.

RandyA

Where did you mount the other 2 speakers? I added a Sony CD player and a good set of Soundstream 4" 100w speakers. It sounds really good going down the road, but 2 more speakers would be great.

I'll trade you the Cycle Sound plate in great shape with all the hardware and mounts for a modern car stereo single DIN radio for your old radio parts.

I have a Car CD player installed in mine that will be coming out very soon.

You also do not need waterproof speakers. Any cheap car speaker will work as long as it's polypropolyne cones . I have 2 way speakers in mine and they are happy in the rain and washings. They are regular $18.00 car speakers without being rated waterproof.

I agree with using a MP3 format. Iuse the new iPod Shuffle as it hold 4 gis of music. I have used about half of it and according to the iTunes softward I have 1.9 days of music and it randomly plays the tunes so I never know what is next.

I used a cassett from Radio Shack that has a "lead" that plugs into my iPod and I slip the whole thing in my left front pouch - neat and clean. It doesn't skip and I simply stick it in my pocket when we go inside somewhere and it is smaller that a pack of matches. Clarity is simply wonderful...

Works for us...

-Topper:cool10: