That's the one I have on mine but it was put on by the PO. It's all I've ever ridden with so I can't comment on a comparison. Other than being the wrong height for me it does well. (the top edge is directly in my line of site so I'm always sitting up or slouching)

i have on order a 19.5 inch clearview sheild

any comments as to wind turb compared to

stock sheild

thanks steve

Hey Steve, I have the Tall Wide Clearview on my 06 Midnight and it's a great shield.. unfortunately I had to remove it and install a short wide so that I could see OVER the shield when it rains.. No matter how much RainX you put on it, city driving doesn't provide enough wind speed to peel the drops off the screen which makes a miserable ride at night..

Wind turbulence with the Clearview? I found the T&W kept the wind off the helmet for a smooth ride but for some reason the winds would come up my legs and up under my glasses.. I didn't like that part!

The short wide I have now isn't a clearview and wow, you can tell by the lack of quality.. the Clearview is crystal clear with NO defects while this other one has two wows in it I didn't notice until later and can't return the screen.. drat. No worries, it's out of the viewable riding view and I didn't pay a lot for it..

Your passenger will appreciate the Clearview as well but since I don't ride with a pax often, it's a moot point.

I also found a fuel milage difference between the tall and short screens.. especially in the high winds..

So because of the winds we have and the frequency of rains, I opted for the shorter shield at the moment..

Others will have differing opinions..

Sea King

I liked your info on the windshield your using.

This answered a question I had, which windshield to get?

I too, have a problem seeing through the windshield when it rains and I ride rain or shine.

The biggest problem is riding at night with the truck and car wash spraying back, can't see crap. On my last bike the shield was just right could relax in the seat and the shield was right above eye level then in rain I could sit up without streaching and see over the top giving me a clear view.

Thanks, Now I know what shield I'm getting before I cut the origional down.

The nice thing about the Clearview shields is that you CAN use RainX on them unlike the factory shield.

This is true. HOWEVER, when riding city speeds, in the dark of night, in the rain behind a truck or car, RainX still needs a little wind to push those beads of water off the screen.. THAT was my biggest disappointment..

Like the OP, I too ride rain or shine, day and night and the inability to see properly through a windscreen is why I switched to another one that I could see over the top..

Keep in mind, a Clearview WILL be better looking through than an OEM one, but it's still going to be hard to see.. You know those nights where you can't see the lane lines in the rain? that sucks even worse on a bike looking through ANY windscreen.. I prefer to look over the top of mine.

I have my Clearview stored for now, and I will most likely put it back on later this year when the frost returns.. but for summer riding, over the top viewing for me..

Best luck to the OP.. what sucks is that you'll never know which is best unless you try both yourself..

I won't dwell on this,,, but I am probably the only one to remove my Clearview to go back to stock.

I have a 2006 RSTD. I got the Clearview 19.5, recurve, with the vent,,, say, last September.

Great at back road speeds. But on the interstate at 75+, around traffic, I was getting side shimmy, always. So I bumped it to 90 in traffic,, worse. Bumped it to 100, no traffic, just plain scary. You've seen those flicks where a high speed bike looses it to front oscillation, yeah, that as about it.

I went back to stock,,, then took it to all those speeds, then to 110 and did not get the same problem.

I emailed Clearview, John was concerned, said he would tell the boss, but I never heard back. So I am at stock. They said they've never had that complaint(?). Okay.

My guess,,,, the vent is a bad idea at 80 for my bike. I think it acts like a drag shoot (the vent louvers are not at the windshield surface but 2" back (like a pocket). Honda design.

Just for kicks, I tightened my steering head bearing tonight. Maybe it was loose (didn't feel like it). But I will try the Clearview again. Else,, will sell it (or trade for a new stock ?? someone got one?).

But,,, you ask after your question after you have bought. Hope you don't have that problem.

PS, yeah, the quality of their work is top notch,, Just,,, I had an aero problem.

Mike G in SC

I got the F4 and let me tell you I LOVE IT. I got the tallest screen they have and it is wider than stock.

First off the wider screen will dramatically reduce the back buffer. That 2 extra inches on each side really calmed down the bike when behind a truck and even more important when meeting a truck on a two lane. My wife also has noticed less head buffer for her in the back. Of course that my also be due to the increased height.

As for rain I have had zero visibility problems looking through this windshield. I use RainX if I think I will be riding in rain. I have ridden the screen two times in rain. Both time I had RainXed it and both times the rain was very intense. Both time the water beaded off beautifully and I had no problems seeing where I was going. The only problem I had was that I had to lift my face shield because it was beading so bad. Once I lifted the face shield I had no problems.

The optics on this screen are phenominal. I have had no problems with refraction or image distortion no matter what the conditions have been. As for keeping it clean . . . don't cringe now . . . I use the squeegie at the gas pumps and a papertowel. I do not apply any pressure and the bugs all but fall off of this thing. Scratches? Not a one yet.

So far I have about 3500 miles on this screen and have been all the way from desert sand to high mountains, to farm lands (talk about bugs) to the seaside. To say I am pleased with the F4 screen would be an understatement.

Also when I ordered it I was close to a deadline and needed it rush shipped. They quoted a shipping price that was less than the actual shipping price and rather than calling me back to correct it they ate it themselves. I call them on it when I found out and they refused to accept any additional monies from me for the difference. As they said "we stand on what we say".

Great people, Great Service and a Great Windshield. I would recommend the F4 to anyone. My understanding is that the Goldwingers are loving it on their bikes as well so it is acquiring a good user base.

I got the F4 and let me tell you I LOVE IT. I got the tallest screen they have and it is wider than stock.

As for rain I have had zero visibility problems looking through this windshield. I use RainX if I think I will be riding in rain. I have ridden the screen two times in rain. Both time I had RainXed it and both times the rain was very intense. Both time the water beaded off beautifully and I had no problems seeing where I was going. The only problem I had was that I had to lift my face shield because it was beading so bad. Once I lifted the face shield I had no problems.

Great people, Great Service and a Great Windshield. I would recommend the F4 to anyone. My understanding is that the Goldwingers are loving it on their bikes as well so it is acquiring a good user base.

See, in heavy rains, the droplets will sheet off the shield, no probs.. But around here we have a lot of misting and heavy fog.. it's not rain, it's not drizzle, it's that irritating in between stuff that in your car you find having wipers on all the time annoying and pulse wiping too slow.. it will bead on your windscreen and not sheet away at city speeds and when caught behind traffic, it will billow in behind your screen, with or without the Honda louvres..

I found it dangerous enough to warrant going to the see-over the top screen..

Heavy rains? No probs.. its that annoying light stuff that won't sheet off that's the killer, no matter HOW much RainX you put on it..

First off, it seems very strange to be into the 2nd gen tech section!!

Any way, I am loking for a good deal on a light bar. Where should I look?? What kind of lights option do I have?? Where should I tie the power from??

Questions, questions...

The Clearview is my WS of choice in the winter, but the shorty wide I run now (ShowChrome 17 1/2") is so much better in the warmer weather, when I'm more prone to ride rain or shine. I can easily see over the top, and it's wider profile greatly enhances both the stability and the buffetting. I've shown it to several RSV guys and they have made the switch also.

• 1 month later...

BigBoyinMS,

You had stated that you're looking right at the top edge of the new shield you bought. My question is, how tall are you? I'm 6ft tall and am trying to decide between the Clearview Large and/or the medium. I'm thinking that the Medium may have me looking right at that edge as you'd mentioned. I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have on the topic.

Thanks in advance. Bob

... I'm thinking that the Medium may have me looking right at that edge as you'd mentioned. ...
Probably.

I'm 6' tall. I sat on my bike and pointed at where I wanted the top of the shield, then I measured down to that point. I called 'em up and ordered "Three inches under stock." I'm pretty sure that's what they're calling Medium.

When I slouch slightly against the backrest I'm looking through the shield. When I sit tall I'm looking above the shield. That's exactly where I want it, though it might not work for others. I don't really notice the edge, but then I wear glasses and don't much notice them either.