IGNORED

My "new to me" 83 Venture

Ottawa

Hi Everyone

My 83 venture 1200 is on the road where she belongs. :dancefool: I will work out the bugs over time and I just want to say thanks for all the help everyone gives here:clap2:. A new problem has presented itself as of late and I hope someone can help. When I start the bike cold, the tack does not work and it sounds like I am running on two cylinders. In about 10 min it warms up and the tack starts to work and the power kicks in.:confused07: We have had some colder mornings as of late here in Ottawa and some rain as well. Shamefully I must admit that I have allowed my baby to be out in the rain:depressed::crying: Can anyone help with a suggestion or two??

Thanks

Ryan

That does sound a bit like the TCI is sucking in a little moisture, as in condensation inside the case. A lot of guys pull them, open them up and do run in the oven at about 110 degrees for a hour to really dry them out. Then a thin layer of sealant when replacing the cover to help.

The TCI is in a bad place to start with as it does get exposed to the elements. Some rework the harness and move it to the top of the air box.

Of there is moisture in there it WILL do damage eventully.

Just my thought.

Edited by Snaggletooth

I would say TCI also. Mine was doing a fairly similar thing. ) one bank would start, followed by back firing and then finely second bank would kick in. Mine would also not rev over 4000 grand.

Replaced the TCI and life is Good again.

Jeff

Hi Everyone

My 83 venture 1200 is on the road where she belongs. :dancefool: I will work out the bugs over time and I just want to say thanks for all the help everyone gives here:clap2:. A new problem has presented itself as of late and I hope someone can help. When I start the bike cold, the tack does not work and it sounds like I am running on two cylinders. In about 10 min it warms up and the tack starts to work and the power kicks in.:confused07: We have had some colder mornings as of late here in Ottawa and some rain as well. Shamefully I must admit that I have allowed my baby to be out in the rain:depressed::crying: Can anyone help with a suggestion or two??

Thanks

Ryan

Northern Handiman and Harbor freight has a carport shed kit with a frame and tarp roof that is about 10' wide by 20' long and makes a great bike shed for about $100 bucks. For a little more you can get the accessory kit that has walls and a front and back zipper door. Or for about $16.00 J&P motorcycle catalog has a gigantic plastic bag (heavy thickness) that fits over the bike. Both work great to keep the rain off the bike if you have to park it outside. Or I have Walmart sells a pretty good bike cover for pretty cheap.

If you need any parts I'm parting out a 84 1200 that still has a lot of good parts left on it.

Sounds like some of your other problems may be poor electrical connections. This is very common on these bikes especially if the sit out in the rain. Get some CRC electrical contact cleaner and diaelectric grease and start cleaning and greasing all of the pull apart electrical connections.

Edited by Dragonslayer
left something out

Only a TCI from an '83 will work on yours, I'm sad to say, so make sure it is for that year. They come up on ebay often enough. Wish I could help you out but I've got my own TCI problems. There is also another area that can give the same conditions, the conector for the pickup coils that come from the stator cover up to the TCI. There is a connector along the frame near the gas tank and voltage regulator that can get corroded and cause problems...