I have looked at those ads too but I am just too darned cheap to pay the asking price.

My plan, if ever I get some time to myself, is to rig up a manual over ride switch in parallel with the OEM themal switch that I can operate when caught in traffic to cool her down. In the Cadilac version (can we still use that analogy now that GM is bust?) I would have the manual switch operate a timed relay to run the fan for say 5 minutes and then go off again automatically. Likely it will just be a plain old spdt toggle switch though as time is so hard to come by.

With a manual over ride, I am in control if I need to be. Otherwise the Yamaha design is maintained intact.

I would also like to wire an indicator light to show me when the fan is running, but that is just me being anal.

Hope this is of interest.

Brian H.

IMO, that temp setting is too low. The t-stat is 180 deg, so that fan switch would have your fan running literally all the time (once the engine is warm). There's a NAPA switch available (listed online here somewhere) for a similar price that has a temp setting somewhere in between 180 and the stock fan switch. I've been tempted but not bought it.

OTOH, the engine is designed to run in the temp range from 180 up to the stock fan switch, so maybe trying to bring it down from there is kinda silly.

Jeremy

Great ideas! I'll have to look into that myself. Perhaps a lighted momentary switch hooked to a timer? Kind of like the rear defrost of a car? Hit he switch, light comes on, defrost comes on, after a period, both the light and the defrost go off. Now I wonder what tells the defrost to shut off.

I could steel the timer out of my pizza oven! :scratchchin:

NOT!

But similar maybe?

IMO, that temp setting is too low. The t-stat is 180 deg, so that fan switch would have your fan running literally all the time (once the engine is warm). There's a NAPA switch available (listed online here somewhere) for a similar price that has a temp setting somewhere in between 180 and the stock fan switch. I've been tempted but not bought it.

OTOH, the engine is designed to run in the temp range from 180 up to the stock fan switch, so maybe trying to bring it down from there is kinda silly.

Jeremy

I would be inclined to agree. If the OEM switch is working as intended there is no reason to mess with. you also don't want to run an engine too cool either because that causes excesive engine wear and increased carbon and sludge build up. Adds that use racing as advertising never point out that racers want speed and short term durability, they are not concerned with fuel economy and engine longevity.They want an engine to last through the race and they get torn down frequently between races, they are not concerned with getting 4 or 5 years or 100,000 plus miles out of an engine. What is good on the track is not always what is good for the everyday vehicle.

Edited by saddlebum

I have been useing the Orange GM DexCool Antifreez. No mods to cooling

system, Never had a problem.

Even comeing up thru Calif last summer at 110 deg F outside air temp. It was closer to the Red, but never got there.

Normaly my gauge runs about mid range. I don't think the fan has ever come on until I pull up to a stop light.

On a warm day after slow riding and stoplights in city driving, after I shut my bike off, I can hear it gurgling and sometimes it spits a little coolant out the vent tube leading from the puke tank. I've checked both the radiator and the puke tank. Both are staying full. I'll change out the coolant for some of that fancy stuff and see how she acts then.

I put lighted toggle switch (end of toggle has small led) on my vr years ago everyone knows these beasts dont like to turn over when hot. Killed it in heavy traffic would not start, too hot! did the tip toe dance down slight hill in first popped clutch gave little gas nothing. went to second gear popped clutch with throttle it started and pulled front wheel for way too long. man changed my shorts after that one. never thought that 1300 could pull front wheel on 900 lb. bike i got turned around back to pick up nav. ( was on side of the road watching the show) her eyes big as cookies.

put the switch on right after that. NO MORE WHEELIES FOR THIS GUY!!!

:doh:

Likely it will just be a plain old spdt toggle switch though as time is so hard to come by.

Not hard to come by at all, go to any junk yard and get the defroster relay out of any 80's car. It activates and runs for 10 minutes and kicks off on it's own.

These are really common

Not hard to come by at all, go to any junk yard and get the defroster relay out of any 80's car. It activates and runs for 10 minutes and kicks off on it's own.

These are really common

That's what I thought. I'll go looking for one today. Seeing as how I got rid of the factory stereo and installed a CD stereo, I can use the scan button to activate the relay. I left the buttons on the handle bars thinking they would come in handy sooner or later.

I put lighted toggle switch (end of toggle has small led) on my vr years ago everyone knows these beasts dont like to turn over when hot. Killed it in heavy traffic would not start, too hot! did the tip toe dance down slight hill in first popped clutch gave little gas nothing. went to second gear popped clutch with throttle it started and pulled front wheel for way too long. man changed my shorts after that one. never thought that 1300 could pull front wheel on 900 lb. bike i got turned around back to pick up nav. ( was on side of the road watching the show) her eyes big as cookies.

put the switch on right after that. NO MORE WHEELIES FOR THIS GUY!!!

:doh:

You need some phat battery cables from LonestarMedic. They make a huge difference.

It's worth changing them just so you can laugh at the stock parts.

My bike had a switch wired into it by the PO. I wish it didn't, cause sometimes I don't notice the temp climbing up in the traffic, and it doesn't take too long to happen.

went to second gear popped clutch with throttle it started and pulled front wheel for way too long. man changed my shorts after that one.

Yup, gotta pull that clutch back in real quick when pop-starting!

Funny story!

Jeremy