IGNORED

Wiring routing for rear light spoiler

Was wondering about people's experiences with routing the wire from the trunk to under the seat?

Just had the dealer wire mine. The mechanic ran the wire over the inside top of the trunk came out the back of the top of the trunk behind the passenger backrest (drilled hole), dropped down under the passenger seat and then connected into the wiring under the seat. So, you can actually see the wire running from behind the passenger backrest to under the passenger seat (3-4" worth).

It works, and I can secure the wire so it aligns with one of the seams, but IMO, it doesn't look all that great. Also, seems likely to have problems... with the lid going up/down, the wires are going to rub/flex with every opening (although, they are wrapped in electrical tape).

I was thinking it may have been better to come out the bottom of the trunk, leaving enough loose wire to allow for the trunk opening/closing.

Was wondering what others have done that may be better, or should I just live with it?

It does add a lot of light on the back end, which is always good.

Also, if anyone is intersted, the Raven color blends very well on my 07 Blue/Black RSV (you can't buy a blue light/spoiler).

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob

:biker:

Sounds pretty much the way my dealer installed mine (after I had to pay to get it painted to match my '07). The wires are just laying next to the other wires running under the seat until they are apparently stuffed into a wiring connector. Doesn't appear to be as neat or professional an installation as I expected, but it works. I may go back at install some wire ties to keep it in place.:2cents:

I was thinking it may have been better to come out the bottom of the trunk, leaving enough loose wire to allow for the trunk opening/closing.

Was wondering what others have done that may be better, or should I just live with it?

I wired mine is as you stated above... along the interior of the trunk lid, allowed slack to bridge the joint for opening/closing the trunk, behind the fabic pocket, under the foam pad along the bottom of the trunk and out a hole drilled in the bottom. From there, the wires drop down behind the license plate and connect behind the plate. There's a small length of wire (about ½") that hangs the gap between the light bar under my trunk and the license plate. The wires are incased with black shrink tubing, so you can't even see it back there unless you're bent down looking for it -- I had to shine a flashlight on it so you could see it in the picture.

Edited by SteveP
Added photos.