IGNORED

Help!! Need An Ignition Module!!!

Goldie is running, or rather ran for a few minutes, then the ignition module bit the big one!! Now I have 2 dead units and one that runs on 2 cylanders...

I am in dire need of a module ASAP! Don't want to miss MD because of it. Anybody got a spare to part with??

I'm going to check the schematic to see if there is any reason that I should be blowing them. The only thing changed was the pickup coils but I can't see what they would do to cause the unit to self destruct. It did run fine while it ran...

I suppose its possible. Sensor, gets 12 V and outputs 1 to 5 Volts Signal to the TCI. If that 5v goes to 12, I suppose it could damage the TCI.

Remove Sensor, apply 12V, then measure the output, and apply vaccume, the output voltage should vary from 1 to 5 V, as vaccume changes.

Is it blowing the 15 Amp Ignition Fuse ?????

Remove Plugs from TCI, install a good fuse, Turn On, see if fuse still Blows.

IF so, remember, that fuse feeds voltage to about 6 different systems on the bike. NOT just the TCI. ( tci, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, pressor sensor, Cruz control, all 4 ignition coils, start cut off relay, side stand relay coil , )

----- SEE block diagram, page 7-11 service manual 86 to 93---

Remove plugs from TCI, Use block diagram, to Unhook plugs from all other items being fed voltage, then remove Ing Fuse, Now do ohm meter checks of the wireing,

Output side of fuse, to ground you should see infinate, just checking the wireing.

Check out your Run Stop Switch, maby mechanical defect. Power to all above items goes thru that switch.

Now plug each end user back in one at a time, and recheck the resistance, watching for a dead short.

Check for Damaged Wire bundles down around the Side Stand Area, Cable going to the side stand Switch, maby damaged.

Bob, I was just about ready to see if you had any spare TCI's. I rode last Saturday and almost had to trailer mine home. I now have something intermitten that is killing my power, as in dieing instantly at lower rpm's, and not wanting to restart.

Sunday I pulled the battery box and cleaned the contacts on the TCI, tighted the terminals and thought I may have fixed it. I also took the kill switch apart and cleaned it. Well, it is no better than it was and last night I gave up on it. I printed out the TCI check in the tech section, but have not started the process yet.

On mine, I am also getting a relay rattle somewhere behind the headlight, but again, I have not pulled it. I did make sure the clutch switch was closed by the lever being pushed tight, even though that may not be enough. When it did start, I was getting about 12.8 volts to the kill switch and when it would not start, I am getting a little over 11 volts to the kill switch. I have not had any exposure to the workings of the TCI and think they are either bad or good, not intermitten, but I am not sure.

This may be a good catalyst to get take the fairings off and get the paint work done on the edges while I am chasing voltages and grounds.

I hope you get it worked out and if you have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

RandyA

Hi Bob

i have a spare for an 83 i got off ebay i can send up if you still need it

i have not tested it, i was going to send it out and get it checked but just never got around to it.

from what i am told the 83 and 84 use a different TCI but if you you want it let me know