IGNORED

Headset Speaker Problem

Just returned from a three day ride in the NC and TN mountains. Took my grandson along as we were acting as tour guides for a couple from Ft. Myers, Fl. that had a new V-star 1300 and were unfamiliar with the numerous great MC rodes in the area.

Anyway, during the ride, we were both listing to the cb and radio through helmet speakers and the grandson through ear buds. We both only heard the music out of the right speaker. Nothing out of the left side?????? What could cause this problem. I have not experienced this problem before and the only thing differant this time was a passenger plugged into the rear connector. Any else ever experience this problem?

Bugsplat:doh:

Yes, I am talking about the factory unit on a 2006 RSV. The only reference in the book regarding 'Balance' is for the front to rear fade control. I do not see anything that pertains to a control for varying left to right volume. How is this performed ?????

Did you try unplugging the earbuds and see if anything changed in your helmet? How did you plug the earbuds into the system? The system is designed for helmet speakers, not earbuds per se. If the jacks are not adapted just so, it could cause something like this. Maybe :-)

Jeremy

I use an adapter purchased from 'Edset's'. It plugs into the five pin receiver plug and has a separate jack for standard ear bud pin built in. I did have the ear buds unplugged for part of the ride yesterday and it made no difference. Sound still only came through the right helmet speaker.

Hey Bugsplat,

My wife and I got back from a North Carolina trip monday. The weather was great until sunday. We got wet most of the way home. I have two of the edset adapters for earbuds and they work fine. I don't know what would cause your problem.

Well duh, I guess there is no right to left balance control:doh:!

I think I would check the connection in the left lower fairing. It's a telephone style plug in I believe. Take it apart , apply some dielectric grease and reconnect. See if that helps. If not do the same with the connectors is the upper fairing.

After washing three days of rain and road grime off the RSV and used contact cleaner in the front and rear 5 pin connectors. Plugged in my helmetless headset and earbuds and everything is working fine now:doh:. I guess maybe a speck of crude got in and messed up the connector. Need to add that to my normal cleaning and servicing routine.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Bugsplat:banana:

• 1 year later...

Greeting from Knoxville, TN. I have an 87 Venture and just started to use the inter/headset for riding with others using the CB. All the electronics seem to work well on the bike. I have used two different headsets with the 5-pin connector for the Yamahas and cannot get anything out of the left side of the headsets. I hear the radio, the CB works between my bud and I but only out of the right head speaker, and both the fairing speakers work well. I pulled the unit out of the fairing and the multi-pin plug looks fine with plenty of lith all over. No signs of water leaking anywhere in the fairing. I have noticed that at the drivers plugin on the end of the factory cable on the bike, if I bend the cable certain way all sound cuts off the headsets. May be a cracked wire near the end there, but moving it around I still get no sound out of the left side. Anybody know of the radio/CB combo unit having this problem and needs sent in to a radio shop?? Thanks,

Dennis

I use an adapter purchased from 'Edset's'. It plugs into the five pin receiver plug and has a separate jack for standard ear bud pin built in. I did have the ear buds unplugged for part of the ride yesterday and it made no difference. Sound still only came through the right helmet speaker.

I purchased 2 of the Edset adapters last year, with the thought that I could rid myself of the speakers acting like heat absorbing muffs in my ears:confused24:did you remove the speakers? I have J+M headsets.....if you did remove the speakers and muffs, how did you do it? How did you attach your mike so that it isn't flopping around? Any suggestions?

gunk:shock3: