IGNORED

Problem with J&M 2003DU CB - need advise please

Lone Eagle

I have the J & M 2003DU (dual unit for driver/passenger) handle bar unit with the EdSets unit and have been plugging the EdSets lower cord into the J & M plug that comes from the J & M unit (don’t know if I am saying the right terminology) - have not had any problems for over a month. Last week, while I was installing “other stuff – not CB related” - I wrapped the antenna cable (under the gas tank) with rubber splicing tape to better seal it.

On a chapter ride Sunday, I couldn’t hear anyone – though some could hear me when I spoke. Then, sometimes, I could only hear the Venture next to me – albeit with a lot of static, and no one up front (we had 18 bikes) could hear me and I couldn’t hear them.. During the ride, another member with the J & M complete set up in their helmet plugged their unit into my J & M out plug and everything worked great. In hindsite – I didn’t do this – was plug my helmet into their unit and try and trouble shoot it that way. I still hear the music through the EdSet unit, but no CB. I played around with the squelch / intercom – nothing worked though sometimes – if I had the squelch / intercom set real high – I periodically heard a little static.

Could I have a bad lower cord from the EdSet unit – or bad connection / mic in my helmet? Maybe a bad antennae? I found it amazing as too how much I have come to depend on the CB – for the groups safety, etc. Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. I have some weekend trips coming up within the next week – and need to solve my problem. :crying::confused24:

Good morning Vic! With your fellow rider plugging their helmet in and everything work great, I would suspect that your JMC2300 unit is good and the problem is in your helmet. You mention that you have the DU version, do you have a complete helmet setup for your passenger? If so, you can see if it's your lower cord by swapping it out or testing the complete set up in the riders connection and mis and match parts until you find the faulty piece. I usually use a handheld CB to do some testing at home.

Also, in moving the antennae, you may have damaged they wire or the connections or effected the SWR.

Good luck!!

Dave