I cleaned the carbs, replaced the diaphragms and then synced it this weekend. Now my question is, When I first start it up cold (San Antonio cold 70*) it runs really poorly, but as soon as it warms up, it goes like a gasoline coated cat (don't ask me how I know what that looks like). Shoudl it do that or am I just being paranoid? (I know they're out to get me)

Maby a bad plug, that start working good after getting hot.

Have plug wires ever been replaced ?

Maby check to make sure the Choke linkage to all 4 carbs is actually going to the OFF position.

Have you ever cleaned the Plugs Pins, at the TCI Unit?

Posible high resistance contacts in the Run-Stop Switch. Clean with electrical contact cleaner ?

Have you drained the Carb Bowls in the Recent past ?

Water in the gas tank ?? Have you ever completly drained the tank ?

Just a few Witch Hunt items ---

Mine needs a bit of choke even after just sitting for a couple hours. It doesn't stumble but it is cold-blooded. Does it still take a lot of choke for a cold start? Thinking that the choke is a bit rich. We can check it out one evening. Or morning on the weekend.

JB

Warming up Procedure is a whole different Animal on each and every Bike. There are a Lot of Parts involved, mechanical Slack in each Part, Rubber Parts, misadjusted Choke Levers inbetween the Carb Set, Engine Compression and whatnot else ...

As long as the Bike starts good and picks up normal Behaviour shortly after starting, i wouldn't bother too much with it. Next Time you have the Covers off, it may be time to check Linkages and look a deep Look into the mechanical Side.

I just completely removed and disassembled all four carbs to have the entire lot vatted. Reassembled with good used diaphragms. Before doing all this the engine ran very, very poorly with a lot of backfiring, chuffing and surging. But after sitting for supposedly 13 years (as the PO stated and that can always be disputed), one can't expect top engine performance. But now that the carbs are in perfect shape and synced as close as I can get them, the bike runs like a charm; quiet with lots of power. However, when cold, it has an occassional pop and chuff. I believe this is normal for a 23 year old machine. But who knows, once I replace the plug wires, run it on the roads for a while and then re-sync the carbs, it may not then miss a beat.

What you have provided is how the bike ran before the work on the carbs.

Edited by MasterGuns