IGNORED

Windshield

Chief2756

Not sure I'm in the right forum for this since I'm new to

Venturerider.org

I just moved up from a V-Star 1100 Classic to a Venture and am in dire need of more (cooler) air in the riders seat. Any suggestions on windshield replacements, removing lowers in summer etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chief2756

Guest Coastie

I too just moved to the RSV. The first thing I did was remove the fork lowers. You will be surprised how much more air flows to you once those are gone.

I am going to purchase the Custom Chrome shield because it is 4" shorter than the stock. I was considering the ClearView but it is only 3.5" shorter which will put the top of the windshield right in front of my eyes. (Plus the price is better for the Custom Chrome - $84.00 thru Dennis Kirk).

I have 25,000 miles on my 05 RSV, and I have some very specific observations about the heat issue.

First, I agree that removing the fork mounted wind deflectors will have one of the biggest effects in increasing air flow to the rider. These are much more effective than I ever imagined. Removing them not only increases the air flow up over the front of the tank, but also the water when riding in the rain! I prefer to leave them in place, since I ride every day, no matter what the weather.

I have also vented the windshield with round pop vents. Quite effective and very inexpensive. These vents break the vacuum behind the fairing and allow some air to flow past the rider, but there is still a lot of heat there. My temp sensors always show 10 degrees higher at the front of the tank compared to the air coming between the forks on the bike! The round vents do not allow you to direct the flow of air to you face like a Honda vent would, but they don't chop up big bugs and splatter you with the guts either!

I have added adjustable winglets to the sides of my stock windshield; slightly more air to the arms, but otherwise more for looks.

The place where I disagree with most everyone else is the lower vents sold by Yamaha. They look nice, but in my opinion, they are terribly ineffective! Not only do they not cool the feet and legs, but when opened up, they actually force the full heat from the radiator right onto the feet and shins! I have been experimenting with holding my bare hand down in front of my ankle to compare the heat with different positions of the vents, and I find that closed or just barely open is the coolest!

I changed to the Show Chrome shorter shield, tinted. It really doesn't help getting air to me but it sure helps visibility in the rain, and hitting those cold pockets of air at night down here that will instantly fog the shield. I can look over the shield sitting normal or duck down in a really hard rain. Would like to get a vented shield but cash is slim right now.

As for getting more air, I don't know. I don't want to remove the lower deflectors because of the rain thing. I just live with it. When it really gets hot I just don't ride, or I won't once my wife gets her car and I get my truck back.