IGNORED

Mounting Luggage Rack?

I finally got a chrome luggage rack for my 07 Venture.

Before I start drilling holes I figure I should ask for any tips.

Is there a trick to figuring out where to position it?

In the future, I thought I may get the lighted spoiler that Yamaha sells. I have seen somewhere on this site that you can have both if wanted.

I don't want to position the rack in the wrong place as to rule out the spoiler in the future.

Do any of you have any tips?

I plan to start drilling the holes tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance,

craigr

I have posted pics of when I mounted mine, not real sure where they are at, but best bet is to do a search in the tech forum, they should be in there. I will try and find the pics when I get home.. just take your time, check and re-check and all should go fine.

Good luck and post pics..

Kreg

Follow the directions CAREFULLY is my advice. I did my install about a month ago. It's a wee bit "tricky". Couple of points... 1) measure 3 times, drill hole once 2) keep in mind that the holes are at a bit of an angle.

I found that after I drilled the holes, I had to file them open a bit to finally get the bolts in because of that angle. Do the forward holes first and make sure that fits including installing the bolts, etc before marking / drilling the rearward holes.

Afterwards, find something to cover the exposed bolt heads inside the trunk otherwise, if you put a helmet or such in and close the lid, you might find some unwanted scrapes on it.

The rack should be about an inch or so away from the backrest.

Oh, and one last thing... be VERY CAREFUL as you position / re-position, mount / remove / remount the rack otherwise you WILL scratch your trunk!!! (no, I didn't but it was danged close!)

hope this helps.

Edited by SilvrT

I don't want to position the rack in the wrong place as to rule out the spoiler in the future.

I would put it on top of the trunk...

Just having one of those days. As mentioned check everything twice or three times before you drill.

Based on Physics and MSF it is best to have all added weight low and forward. Well cant get it very low and instructions say about 1" behind seat. Well I moved mine forward the full 1" just about touching seat maybe 1/16".

What I did to make sure it was DEAD CENTER was to loop a string over the key and turn it to Noon position. Than I ran the string exactly over the STAR on seat back and over trunk inline with the trunk Key Hole, added some weight and let it hang. This gave me a "CENTER-LINE" on the Trunk. OOps forgot to mention place some wood under the kickstand so nearly straight upright.

Follow instructions to the LETTER. DO NOT DRILL ALL 4 at once. Drill and mount the fronts holes then REMARK the Rear Holes using Painter Tape. My original markings were off by 3/8" to 1/4".

Here is SPOILER Mount Link: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=510

Edited by frogmaster
spelling

i would get some green masting tape. which is easy to take off. and mast the top of trunk. so you can place it then mark the holes. i use the back of the sear and side to side measurments to center:bang head: