IGNORED

How Fast?

midnightrider54

This Sunday is Biker Sunday at our church. After church there will be a meal and some biker games. Afterwards there will be a 50 mile ride. The pastor has asked me to lead the ride. The route has been laid out. All two lane state hwy. The middle section has several 15 & 25 mph curves.

We are expecting somewhere between 50 to 100 bikes. I've never road with a group before (let alone lead one). So what is a recomended speed to travel for the ride, and the curves?

Thanks! for the help.:322:

IMO it should be broken down into several smaller groups instead of one large one. Either way you should have a bike riding drag that has a CB so he can tell you when everyone is caught up.

If you are leading out, stay 5-10 MPH under the posted speed limit until you receive the call from the drag rider that everyone has caught up. Then you can resume a safe speed. Make sure you tell everyone to keep staggered spacing and go over hand signals so everyone is aware in case you need to get everyone single file or point out a road hazard.

Explain your intentions to go under the speed limit until everyone is caught up and for them to NOT speed to catch up. Big groups tend to yo yo back and forth and those in the back will have to speed up to catch up and that is where the danger comes in. They can and sometimes do run into the back of other riders who speed up only to have to slow down quickly.

Good Luck

Guest Popeye
...what is a recomended speed to travel for the ride, and the curves?

Thanks! for the help.:322:

Recommended speeds are posted along roads & curves.

When I've led groups, my concern was scoots not riding side-by-side[especially on turns & curves], tailing, spacing to [try to] keep cages out of group, etc.

Give group talk prior to ride & e/one stays in sight of someone in group.

As some already stated, tailgunner is VIP.

All concerns need to be measured against safety.

The better rides I've been on all included at least one good stop with adequate restrooms, food/drink & visit time.

If your stop is in Podunk, the restroom, gas, water, food, etc., can be a real challenge.

Those stops during the rides have usually been the most memorable part of the ride, for me.

Also, the best rides are always the ones someone else planned & led.:biker:

Along with what Salty and Popeye suggested, have several experienced riders up front with you to be blockers when turning left or right onto connecting roads. This will ease the group along through the intersections without stringing the group out for a long stretch.

• 1 year later...

On a recent 300 mile ride with 9 big bikes, 3 different vehicles insisted on merging into our group ( on 3 different times). One was a guy on a scooter that had to pass half of us, then merge thru to turn right !! Tell your inexperienced riders to expect a merge.

Then there was a big turtle I didn't see, as the group was in a gentle bend, and nobody reacted or signalled. ( I didn't hit it). I would have appreciated a honk or a wave.

If you are following one second behind the next guy, you are almost just as blind to road obstructions as following a SUV by one second.

Well I'm going to disagree with some on here butI do speak from experience.

First of all 50 is to many people in a group, 25 - 30 is to many but can be done.

I always get my slowest riders up front so they can keep up. If the lead rider is running the speed limit then the guys in the rear will be running 10 to 15 MPH over the speed limit to keep up and faster in the curves.

I've seen this happen with both motorcycles and snowmobiles.

Good Luck and just enjoy the ride. One more thing I always tell people to ride no faster then they feel comfortable and if you have to split the group up again into a smaller group then you should do that.

Just be safe and everyone will have a good time,

BOO

Guest Swifty

if everyone knows the route ahead of time fine, don't worry if the group gets broken up. Blocking roads can be dangerous and illegal to some LEO without their cars doing it.

if the route is NOT known to all, prep the riders ahead of time that if part of a group does get behind because of a stoplight and a turn is made the last rider in the leading group should stay at the corner that the turn is made so those caught behind will see him, make the turn and still end up on the same route as everyone else.