IGNORED

My "other" bike is a 2004 V Star...

Semi-retired

Actually, that's wifey's new ride....her nice new/old 1100....but, guess who's doing the maintenance.

Anyone know of/have a link to an online repair manual?

I'm already suffering the "surprise" of having to practically dismember the right side of the bike just to get at the oil filter. Wondering what other joy I'm in for.

Thanks, guys.

P.S. Didn't know what forum to put this in.

My wife rides an '02 V Star 1100, so I know this bike. They did really boof the pooch on that oil filter design. That's the worst thing you'll find about it though. Ours hasn't been troublesome at all. It runs along real nice.

I don't know where you'd find an online manual for it. I picked one up used somewhere.

There is a forum for 1100 riders under the delphi forums sight. It has great info and many knowledgible members. Here is a link to the login page. You might have to register before using the sight. http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index.asp?webtag=yamaha1100&lgnDST=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Edelphiforums%2Ecom%2Fyamaha1100rs

BTW several manufacturers make an oil filter relocation kit to move the filter to the front of the engine. They range around 250 dollars for a good one. I have an '01 with the kit from Phat Performance. It uses spin on filters similar to those on Harleys.

The engine on the 1100 is the same as the old Virago which you may remember had no frame rails and the exhaust was run below the engine so the filter was easy to get at.

Congrats on the new bike. I'm sure it will give you great service.

I've got am 05 Silverado and an 07 Venture. Between the two I've had the least amount of problems with the 1100. I love that bike. The filter is a pain, but after you've done it a couple of times it's not bad. If I had to get rid of one of them, I'd get rid of the Venture first. I'ts had all of the major problems, noisy clutch, noisy rear end, rear shock leaking, (been waiting a month already for it to come in to dealer), gear noise from transmission. The 05 Silverado just keeps on chugging along. CLYMER sells a service manual, very thorough.

Here's a link to a downloadable manual for $10 (least expensive I could find): http://tinyurl.com/vstar-1100-manual

Here's the Seller's email address, in case you want to inquire about the manual before you make a purchase: kmurph68@gmail.com

I have an '04 Silverado that I bought used a few years ago. I did not know about the oil filter change-out problem at the time, but fortunately the previous owner installed aftermarket Vance & Hines tailpipes which go over and under the access, so my problem was solved for me!

I would concur that these are very reliable bikes. I thoroughly enjoy the one I have...

TERRY

In my garage I have a 03 vstar 1100 classic along with my gen 1 venure and Vstrom. I've had the vstar since new and have 55,000 miles on it. It has been a great bike and trouble free. On the starting issue...put in neutral, pull clutch in, hit starter. no gas...if this is done you should have no problems.

here is a good site if you haven't found it already... http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm

it is a good central resource for information.

I'm sure you wife will really enjoy the bike!

my wife has 2 (01 &06) she's rode for about 5 years. we gave the 01 to her sister, but she kept dropping it and burned up the start relay. i got a suziki 800 for her and got the 01 back. go to the delphiforums site for the 1100/ http://forums.delphiforums.com/yamaha1100/start lots of great guys on there and has a lot of knowledge. they were having trouble with some of the filter relocater lines not being large enough to carry the flow good. great bike and fun to ride, i lowered both down for her, which is easy too.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll check out those links to V Star fans/techies.

Sounds as though anyone who's ridden one of these really likes 'em. (got to admit, I've been on the wife's new bike more than she has!)

I appreciate the tips on the filter relocation kits, but I gotta agree with "paperboy"....I actually did the R&R on the filter twice within an hour (took it out right after I installed it cause I was just a little paranoid about whether I'd put it in facing the right way or not) and it went twice as fast the second time around. (and of course it was at that point that I realized it CAN'T be put in backwards!!!)

Also, like paperboy, I've starting to get the feeling that I might be in the market for a V Star myself. When I look at the two bikes sitting in the garage together.......the Venture just looks like the Queen Mary!! And I gotta admit, most of my riding is for short pleasure runs; milk and stuff.......maybe the odd 100 miler up to my brother's cottage. That Midnight is a big piece of equipment to pull out just for a milk run!

Isn't that always the way: so many motorcycles........so little time.

Here's a link to a downloadable manual for $10 (least expensive I could find): http://tinyurl.com/vstar-1100-manual

TERRY

Thanks, Terry......I downloaded the manual. It looks to be the same quality as the widely available Venture one.

In the meantime, I've changed my oil and filter, and found that I can "wrestle" the front exhaust pipe out of the way without actually having to remove the muffler OR drop the master cylinder....so it's not quite the pain I was anticipating.

Thanks again to ALL who responded! Just loving this bike!

Michael