IGNORED

Our first weekend motorcycle camping trip...

similost

Well.. this should be interesting...

My wife and I are going to take our first trip camping with the motorcycle. Going to load up the trailer and the bags, and take off for about a 4 hour ride. Two nights of camping, along with a float trip down the James River next weekend for the holiday...

I'm used to camping, but this should be interesting loading up the trailer for the first time. Never pulled a trailer with a bike before. Have lots of years and miles under my belt, or I wouldn't be attempting it.. I intend to load it up and pull it around for a couple evenings to get the feel of it, and to figure out how to best load our gear into it...

This is kind of a small "feeler" trip for a 4 day rally we will be going to in PA... Try and sort out the things we don't know, figure out what we'll be needing that I forgot (it's been a couple years since I've been camping, and need to replace some gear and such) and hopefuly all will go well for the big trip in about 3 weeks...

If anyone feels like passing out tips.. I'm all ears..

we find is helpful is making a list when you do your test runs. Once you find you have everything, organize the list, then make copies of it so the every time you do a trip, you can quickly go through your checklist without worring...do I need this?....did I bring that?....

That way you don't forget something important. It makes it a lot easier especially when here in Iowa, we have all winter to forget what we need come spring.

Have fun!

Sure hope you have a great time. It is exciting to try something for the first time. Ya have a few laughs at your selfs and do better the next time.

Enjoy and roast a hot dog for me will ya?:) I can smell the camp fire already.

Great tip on the notes and copies.. never done that.. usually just wing it the next time, and always forget something... you add age and CRS, and now I know I'll be making a list! Thanks...

OH YEAH.. we'll be taking some firewood too... only we'll be doing brats instead.. so I'll do an extra for you ;)

I always had a list...back in the day when I went camping all the time ... it's been so long since I last did that... gonna hafta start all over again... list, camping gear, etc, etc... heck, I think I even forgot how to light a campfire (how much gas do ya need to start one?) :rotf:

OK, since this is the first time pulling a trailer (if I read your post correctly) - The RSV pulls great. You have to remember that the extra weight will reduce your braking efficiency. Try some quick stops with it (don't lock it up). You will want to use more front brake than rear since the rear will lock up easier. A locked up wheel can get ugly in a hurry with a trailer.

Ride like an old man and you will be fine.

Have a blast. Hope the weather is nice for you.

RR

Hope yours goes better than mine. My first trip out with our new Time Out camper, we were about 2 hours from home on the highway when the rear blew out (picked up a nail). Ended ok, but was pretty hairy for awhile. The tire bead broke, so I couldn't even move the bike.