IGNORED

Lower cowling question

I recently aquired a 1996 RSTC and have a couple of questions.

1. Did the '96 RSTC come with the lower cowling?

2. Anyone know where I can aquire a set? Mine does not have them and I would like to add them.

Any advise appreiciated, also I get quite a bit of wind noise and buffeting at highway speeds do the lower wind deflectors help with this?

Jim

No they didn't come with the lower fairings. The clear plastic lower deflectors do help keep the air from coming up under your chin. I don't know of any lower fairings that can be added although I'm sure someone has tried it.

You can find a lot of good info on the older Royals on the Royal Star delphi forum.-Jack

http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar/start

You might like to see what I did in lieu of no lower fairing. I put the big Baron's bars on and made some vinyl covers for them. I couldn't find anyone who made them for these bars, so I made my own. I left the sides open for highway pegs, which are now there. I also installed National Cycle's wind deflectors which mount right above them, as well as put Y's lower windshield deflectors on the forks. I figure this is about as good as it gets. These things help a lot in cold weather too. When you want a little more wind on your legs, the vinyl covers slip off and NC's wind deflectors turn back.

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey Pegscaper, in the HD world, we call those 'soft lowers' (or desert dawgs) and if nobody makes them for that bike, you should think about it!!

I had seen those and that's what gave me the idea. But I looked everywhere and couldn't find them for this bike. So I made my own. It was probably cheaper anyway.

Oh, you're saying that I should make them for others? I did keep the pattern, so it wouldn't take long. I haven't seen anyone else ever inquire about them though. Where would I sell them anyway? Really, I have too many other things that I ought to be doing.

Guest tx2sturgis

Oh, you're saying that I should make them for others? I did keep the pattern, so it wouldn't take long. I haven't seen anyone else ever inquire about them though. Where would I sell them anyway? Really, I have too many other things that I ought to be doing.

You could make them and advertise them here, maybe in the classified, or ebay, have a few on hand for the cooler weather in a few months. They sell for $50 to $100 or so depending on whether they are vinyl or leather, and whether they have pockets stitched on, that sort of thing.