IGNORED

Help Removing Mufflers

stevel

I have a 97 RSTD 4 ito 2 exhast system . Wanted to play around with new slip-ons.The mufflers on it now are an aftermarket type. I cant get the slip-on section of the system to budge. Removed the rear muffler to frame bolt.Removed the clamp nut & bolt on the muffler, but I cant get the muffler off. Have tried using a chisel and punch and a small sledge hammer too.When I try moving the muffler around to try and break the seal it has made the whole muffler assymbly moves as well . I feel I am loosening other parts that should not be .Does anyone have suggestions for removing a stubborn muffler?:crying:

Guest tx2sturgis

Will you be saving the stubborn muffler? If not, drill thru it, push in a solid rod, and while twisting and moving it, hammer it all off. Using a cutting wheel on an angle grinder would do it too.

When you finally mount what you want to keep, be sure to use hightemp silicone at the joint.

Yes I want to keep them as they are very nice pipes. Was thinking of looking at the baffles once I took them off as I may want to replace them if the other slip-ons don't work out.They are just to loud for me.