IGNORED

NM May Pop replacement

Dragonslayer

Many of you may remember my story from New Mexico on the way home from Sturgis titled "May Pop Metzler in New Mexico".

In that story I was forced to mount a Dunlop Harley Davidson used rear tire in Tucumcari, New Mexico to replace a fairly new Metzler that sudden showed thread all the way around the tire on a long lonely New Mexico highway.

Well that was last August and about ten thousand miles ago, when I was fortunate enough to find a used tire with some tread on it that was the only fitting motorcycle tire within hundreds of miles of my location.

Back then in New Mexico I paid $20 for the used tire and $6 to have it mounted and ballanced on the wheel. I had to remove and reinstall the wheel. Yesterday I removed the wheel again to replace that tire because once again I have thread showing.

I got all the goody out of this tire too (10,000 miles). I'm amazed how much Goody, In fact I got more mileage out of that used HD Dunlap then I've ever gotten out of any new tire I ever purchased except the free front Metzler I'm still running that I got in Daytona 2008 (12,000 miles).

$26.00= 10,000 miles rear tire life. Not bad :dancefool:

so what did you replace the H-D tire with?

There seems to be a large number of stories on this forum of people getting bad mileage or cracks in expensive MC tires of the recommended size, and a equal number of stories of good performance out of non-standard and even car tires.

so what did you replace the H-D tire with?

There seems to be a large number of stories on this forum of people getting bad mileage or cracks in expensive MC tires of the recommended size, and a equal number of stories of good performance out of non-standard and even car tires.

The used tire was a HD Dunlop D401 a little larger than what is the recommended size for the 1st gens. I'm going back with the Metzler 880 match to the front tire since the front tire still looks new. The other metzler that i changed out in Tucumcari seemed to draw nails and had a funny way of turning up low on air without notice on a regular basis. That and the fact that I was pulling a trailer on that trip I think contributed to it's early demise. I'm gonna try one more to see if I have any better luck.