IGNORED

Accessory jacks, and spare electrical amount?

similost

Just wondering... Where are you all mounting your accessory jacks, or cig lighters? I was looking at the fariing, and not really much room at all to install them through it. I have found a few bar mount models, but DAMN do they think those are made out of gold..

Also, how much spare juice does an 08 Venture have? I know on my Roadstar I don't have much electrical to spare without upgrading the stator..

Will these bikes handle some spare lighting and a heated vest and gloves and such?

There is already one one the left side inner fairing. It is below the handle bars and you cannot see it sitting on the bike. But it is there. The wiring is very small and is served by a 5 amp fuse behind the right side lower fairing (Pain to get too). This is only good for small electronics, and has power only when the key is in accessory or on. My cell charger is plugged there. The fuse pops if I plug my air mattress pump here.

There is a an additional mount on the left side just below the seats also. You should be able to see the round "pop-out". It is black plastic and in a black plastic panel. Mount one here, and wire 30 amp fuse and wiring directly to battery for anything heavy, like heated clothing or the pump for your air matteress if you camp.

Interesting.. I looked all over thinking it was strange there was no jack.. I'll look again once I pick the bike up...

So how much extra can I wire this bike for and plug in is my really big question. Will it feed two heated vests during the winter and still not drain the battery while riding?

Guest tx2sturgis

If you want to run TWO heated full sets of clothing, you might want to turn off passing lites if you've added those, and unplug ( or add a switch to) the carb heaters. Adding some type of voltage monitor will be a good idea.

You CAN run the extra lights, a heated vest, heated gloves or grips, and the carb heaters without much trouble, especially if your doing some highway riding, and keeping the RPMS up. I'd advise using variable controllers on the heated gear. And you can recover a small amount of power by replacing the running and brake lights with LED's.

And yes, there is a power socket under the left speaker on the fairing. It's covered with a rubber cap.

Like TX said, you are OK with one set of heated clothing while at speed. The stator is a little light for too much though. I run a full heated jacket liner and gloves, a GPS, radio cranked, and I am OK as long as I am not sitting still. I use the Warm n Safe Heat-troller for variability of temps in the jacket liner and gloves. They are wired thru an aux. fuse block installed in the battery compartment under the seat. My GPS is directly wired to this also - as is the aux power outlet for the compressor (stock cig lighter won't carry that much juice).

+1 on getting a small volt meter to monitor the charging if you are running a lot of extras.

RR

Ditto above:

A little more detail. The Stator is rated at 30 amps, at 3000 rpm however most never average that rpm. More realistic figure about 27 to 28 amps at cruz speed.

Also, the carb heaters turn OFF after engine reaches run temp.

If you turn OFF all extra lighting, your OK with heated clothing for the rider, for vest , chaps and gloves. However, if you add passenger heated clothing your overloaded.

But, here, if only a heated vest for two, your ok, with extra lighting turned OFF.

Another factor, is if you do lots of short 10 to 15 mile trips, then you are not giveing the battery time to recover from start cranking, and Vest usage in early morning colder temps, you might run into trouble.

Installing a higher capacity, Dry Cell AGM Battery, with higher capacity, would help get around the short trip, problem. Assumeing you use a trickle charger over nite most of the time, and Regularly re-charge battery couple times a month.

But: If you ride two up, and want to run heated clothing for two, and lots of extra lighting, and accessories, ( maby a trailor ) then I would deffinatly consider an Upgraded Stator, AND, AGM type battery. ( Upgraded stators have been disscussed at length on this web site , about 40 Amps, verse the stock 30 amp)

Remember, the average small car system puts out about 75 AMPS ( for reference )

Also be sure to wire up any new accessories, with a Relay, and Switch, so you can pick and choose what is being used at any given time. ( be sure you can Turn OFF those extra two head lights when running other heavy electrical loads )

Also, use at least #16 wire for added accessories !! ( And a Relay ) :thumbsup: