IGNORED

Bought tires today

Well, having ordered a set of 491s from Cycle Gear and waiting 3 weeks with no show, I decided it was time to try something else. Shoping the tire stores around here, most only carried the Metzlers in the sizes I need. Most of the dealers really push the Metz and praise them to the max. Just about fell for the sales deal, but went back and reviewed all the comments about the 880s and thought better of it. Checked around for the Michelins with no luck until I called my buddy at Southvalley Motorsports, and sure enough old Jay came through again. A brand new pair of Commanders with my name on'em.

The reviews are great on the Commanders, but I haven't read about anybody running them on a 1st Gen. Anyone ride them? What do you think? I'll be trying to wear some out soon.

Thanks

DJ

:mo money::mo money:

I have a set on my '99 and I'm happy with them. They are a bit loud in the corners but seem to perform well. Freebird swears by them and from what I gather they are a good mileage tire. I will go back to Avons after these are done, I just wanted to try the Michelins so I could know what they felt like :happy34:

I have a set on my '99 and I'm happy with them. They are a bit loud in the corners but seem to perform well. Freebird swears by them and from what I gather they are a good mileage tire. I will go back to Avons after these are done, I just wanted to try the Michelins so I could know what they felt like :happy34:

I really considered the Avons, but too much talk about "Tank Slapping" on the 1st Gens. I was really suprised that none of the tire vendors I spoke to seemed to have a clue about the Metz shedding pieces. One claimed to be the largest MC tire dealer in the state. Said he sold Metz 2-to-1 over any other brand and hasn't made a single warranty claim. (yeah right, says it all doesn't it) He had the venoms in stock but tried to talk me out of them as he said they have sidewall problems. ( What??) Left that place lookin' sideways!

I think they have discontinued the 491 Elite II's, at least thats what I heard.

Jerry

I heard the same rumor and have enjoyed the EIIs that I have now. Went into Cycle Gear looking for other stuff and ended up in the tire section. Helpful young feller asked if he could help and just incase I asked if they had any EIIS in stock. Said not at this store, but looked in the computer and said he found them in stock at another. "Order'em" says I, and handed him some cash. Three weeks later, NO SOAP so went lookin around town. Found the Commanders and will hav'em mounted when she goes in for service.

DJ

Guest Popeye

I recently waited 3 weeks for the 491 Elite IIs.

Several suppliers claimed to have them on hand, but they never came. [??]

After checking with Dunlop, I learned the 491s were discontinued.

It seems the remaining inventories out there don't fit our 1st gens.

They have been replaced by the Elite IIIs which they simply call "E3s".

I went with the Mics for their reviews & the fact they were IN STOCK.

My tech is still getting delivery promises [2-3 more days] for the obsolete Elite IIs after 5 weeks. Lying to customers is just bad business.

With some more checking, I learned about Dunlop having ongoing "labor problems", but I just didn't care enough to search for the details.

Also, Harley announced they are officially designating Michelin as their new replacement tire as of mid 2007 [i posted that somewhere around here].

Guest Popeye

Update: Picked up my scoot today after 3 months in shops.

They pulled the Michelins off because the new Dunlop 491 Elite IIs arrived, after 5 weeks 'tomorrow or the next day' promises.

I was near in shock. Probably the last set out there.