IGNORED

Dunlop E3 on life support!

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

I found a nail in my beloved E3 today. Dang. I was doing some routine checks before a ride and found the front tire was down to 15 psi...oooops...not good.

So I ordered a new E3 from one of the sponsors here, Motorcycle Superstore.

This tire probably has about 3000 to 5000 miles left on it, treadwise...but its going to die an early death. The bike is sitting in my garage, with a very slow leak now due to the nail.

I think this the first time I have EVER had a nail in a front motorcycle tire. Yep...there is ALWAYS a first time!

Guest seuadr

i hate to admit it, but i , too, have plugged rear tires. i've never had to plug a front, and i don't know that i would, given the results of a front blowout.

As many do here, I carry a plug repair kit and one time I had to use it and was about 150 miles from home. I used my little Harbor Freight pump to get enough air pressure to get me to a gas station. In 98,000 miles on this bike, I have had several punctures on the rear and if the tire was relatively new, I would dismount the tire from the rim and prepare the inside of the tire and put a good heavy duty patch on it. I would always leave the plug in to keep any junk out of the hole, I just shaved it off level with the inside surface. I have never had a problem doing this, but none of the punctures had any indication of a tear, just a small hole.

RandyA

Considering what is at stake on my MC tires I will plug a tire and ride it home at a very reasonable speed. The tire will be replaced no matter what the condition of the tire or the costs involved. Period.

I put more value on my life than saving a few dollars by running my MC tire with a plug or patch in it.

Boomer.....who thinks we face enough hazards on the road without deliberately riding with one.

I hate checking my tires especially the rear, I bought a couple of valve caps that have a builtin color guage, you buy the cap with a pre-determined pressure, I use 40 Ibs. front and back, if you see green your good to go, yellow is about 5 lbs. low and red means get some air or ride at your own risk, been riding with them for a few years and now I can easily see if my tires need attention, cost was about 10 bucks! Great safety Device

Stew