IGNORED

Fork Brace torque spec...?

I have completed putting in my new steering bearings. BUT no where in the service manual does it give the torque spec. for the fork brace all our 1st gens have. Torque spec. is typically the result of female metal strength, size and thread of bolt.

LOOKING at the bolt. I think 14 ft/lbs would be about right. Anyone know the spec for sure? Oh, and I do have the super brace. But I know that does not alter the OEM correct torque setting.

Edited by jasonm.

I'd like to throw out an additional fork brace question:

Does an aftermarket forkbrace really make much of a difference over the stock one on my 86?

Does it make much of a difference? No. Does it make a difference - Absolutely. These bikes seem to not want to run straight and narrow at higher speeds. Wobbles, shimmies and shakes can ruin your day. When I first got my 83 it was scary to ride at 70 mph. I greased and adjusted the neck bearings, I tightened the forks, I put on a Super Brace, I bought new tires and experimented with air pressures. No one thing cured my shakes but cumulatively, It runs dead nuts at over a 100 mph now. Each change would make a small improvement.

Dick

Well the front suspension on these bikes, leave's something to be desired. When mine was New, I did not feel safe with this suspension system, on high speed turns and curves.

After installing Progressive Springs, and the Super brace, there is an improvement.

In average driveing condx, don't notce anthing. However , when I get into High Speed curve's the thing tracks better. Its a subjective comment.

Put it this way, It might keep bad things from happening. You may never know it, but thats good, at least from my perspective.

I checked the book, and could not identify the torque settings. but I set mine at 15lb. and when took them off at a later date, setting was still good.