IGNORED

donations to the site

Snarley Bill

With the donations, we help make sure this site stays up. This site, helps many people in various ways...... Some of us earlier members were in panic mode, from a site crash that lasted 3 days. What shape would we be in, if it shut down???????

:2cents:

I'd keep typing venturerider.org in my computer until something popped up.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not gonna say what I think of the above post....Only to myself...:mad::mad::mad:

:mad::mad::mad: DITTO:mad::mad::mad: DON HAS WORKED HARD AND SPENT MUCH TIME AND EFFORT MAKING THIS SITE WHAT IT IS MUCH OF IT AT HIS OWN EXPENSE 1) WE HAVE INTERNAL E-MAIL 2) WE HAVE TECH INFO SECTIONS AND MORE THAN HELPFULL PEOPLE THAT HAVE HELPED MANY THROUGH PROBLEMS 3) I MYSELF WOULD RATHER PAY A MEMBERSHIP FEE THAN CLUTTER OUR WONDERFUL SITE WITH ADVERTISING AND POP UPS 4) THIS SITE HAS ALWAYS BEEN OPEN TO VISITATION BY ANYONE MEMBERSHIP WAS REQUIRED IF YOU WANTED TO POST THREADS OR BE MORE INVOLVED I ASSUME IT WOULD CONTINUE AS SUCH EXCEPT THAT A VERY SMALL FEE TO HELP DON OFFSET THE COST WOULD BE REQUIRED FOR MEMBERSHIP 5) LAST BUT NOT LEAST IT HAS JOINED PEOPLE TOGETHER FORMING GREAT FRIENDSHIPS BOTH ON AND OFF THE SITE. AND THAT IS MORE THAN MY 2 CENTS WORTH, I SENT IN MY $12 FEE TODAY PLUS AN ADDITIONAL DONATION AMOUNT

I MYSELF WOULD RATHER PAY A MEMBERSHIP FEE THAN CLUTTER OUR WONDERFUL SITE WITH ADVERTISING AND POP UPS

Well on the pop ups we can agree. However many popular forums use advertising like we have in the upper right corner which is really not an imposition. Furthermore, some forums generate a lot more revenue than could ever be collected in membership dues, especially from growing forums.

My goal is obviously not to stir the pot, but rather make a reasonable observation as to what might happen if the site goes to a membership fee to post. Personally I know that forums that go this route wind up losing members(the silent majority), even if the vocal core guys remain. Trouble is that the forum will not get as many new members. I would bet that many of us would not have gotten familiar with this site had there been a membership fee needed to participate. So hopefully my suggestions will not be in vain because while I do not frequent the site as often as the regulars, I do value it along with the nice posters I have interacted with.

Regardless of how this turns out, I still think sending out a forum wide email asking for donations to help Don out is in order. Lets face it, Don has sent them out on behalf of other riders in need, so why not do the same for him? I know that other moderators and administrators can send out the requests provided that the settings allow them access. So I think one of them should take the suggestion and run with it.

`

I thinks ECK is on to something. I feel that a hat or something like a donation bucket would work better, Or have a 50/50 drawing. That way if you can then "GO FOR IT" if you can't then No-one will know.:thumbsup2: I think this is a good way to raise money with-out discouraging people to attend M&E's There are times of the year that I just don't have any extra other times there is plenty and I have helped out others to be able to attend M&E's

I'll be putting a container out or have a 50/50 drawing at every M&E I help plan.

Attached is the results from the PA Meet and eat.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=34676

What "Halfwit" did was to have a bike judging and took donations with the ballots. He even got small prizes (looked like dollar store stuff) and everyone had a ball with them. $350.00 is a good day for donations.

It doesnt take long to get "addicted" to this site, so give them 6 month trial period, get em hooked and then they will pay to feed their addiction.............:2cents::2cents:

Well on the pop ups we can agree. However many popular forums use advertising like we have in the upper right corner which is really not an imposition. Furthermore, some forums generate a lot more revenue than could ever be collected in membership dues, especially from growing forums.

My goal is obviously not to stir the pot, but rather make a reasonable observation as to what might happen if the site goes to a membership fee to post. Personally I know that forums that go this route wind up losing members(the silent majority), even if the vocal core guys remain. Trouble is that the forum will not get as many new members. I would bet that many of us would not have gotten familiar with this site had there been a membership fee needed to participate. So hopefully my suggestions will not be in vain because while I do not frequent the site as often as the regulars, I do value it along with the nice posters I have interacted with.

Regardless of how this turns out, I still think sending out a forum wide email asking for donations to help Don out is in order. Lets face it, Don has sent them out on behalf of other riders in need, so why not do the same for him? I know that other moderators and administrators can send out the requests provided that the settings allow them access. So I think one of them should take the suggestion and run with it.

`

the way i do it is just hit the donation button every few months and give twenty or twenty five dollars. it really is'nt hard to do, and a bargain at the price. there is really nothing complex about this. it's the best website your going to find. the friendship i have on here is well worth the money. i don't tell the world when i donate i just do it. dons the only one that needs to know. i would donate more often but i honestly forget once in awhile, and sometimes i don't have the extra money. if all you can afford is $12.00 a year there's nothing wrong with that. if you want to send extra thats great too. i'm sure don appreciates any help we can give. i still think he works to cheap, so i do my best to help him. it's a no brainer. :sign29:, bill :2133:

the way i do it is just hit the donation button every few months and give twenty or twenty five dollars. it really is'nt hard to do, and a bargain at the price. there is really nothing complex about this. it's the best website your going to find. the friendship i have on here is well worth the money. i don't tell the world when i donate i just do it. dons the only one that needs to know. i would donate more often but i honestly forget once in awhile, and sometimes i don't have the extra money. if all you can afford is $12.00 a year there's nothing wrong with that. if you want to send extra thats great too. i'm sure don appreciates any help we can give. i still think he works to cheap, so i do my best to help him. it's a no brainer. :sign29:, bill :2133:

I have done the same thing, ever since there have been a donation button. As a self employed contractor i have lean times where I cannot donate but when times are good i will continue to donate. I was talking the other day and figured that just in "carbtunes" (at meet & eats) I have saved at least alot more over the past 4 years. this site is great.

Like Annie, I got in very early from Down Under.

Even with the exchange rate ($US12 = $AU17) it's a bl00dy good deal.

In fact it's so good, I'm gonna pay NEXT YEAR'S sub next week.

(How ya travelling' boss?)

There ya go boss. As good as my word.

Just sent ya another $17:41 (Aussie money) for the cause.

PayPaled it to ya, so you'll get it in a couple days.

Hang in there mate. (No pirate jokes - promise.):parrots:

Whoopps - where'd that come from?