IGNORED

Who's using leading links on their outfits ?

I just wondered how many people with sidecars on their Ventures have fitted leading links. My steering has been mostly light enough on my outfit with a double adult sidecar has been easy enough, even with a big trailer in tow, but on very long tours it's tiring and I'm not getting any younger.

I've had leading links on other outfits and it makes for a much easier ride, as well as lighter steering, but at the expense of a handlebar heavier wobble at THAT speed.

You don't get anything for nothing, but who else has kept with the standard forks and who has gone with links ?

Hi Greg,

I have leading link on my '07 RSV with sidecar and it sure makes it easier on the shoulders-- although I'm female, I'm a "big" girl and usually have no problem with the bigger bikes (rode an ST1300-heavy bugger) But have to say after a full day riding I am glad the link is on the car. Also since an accident the upper body got weaker still, so another bonus for the link on. After surgery the right leg won't bend much now, so am changing to a voyager trike conversion to keep riding, but leading link will stay on the bike

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

Okay, I'll admit it, I am dumb on this.

What is a 'leading link'?

Pics?

craigr

Hi Craig,

A leading link suspension moves the centre of the axle forward ( rake angle IS changed) from the original factory forks thus making it easier to turn--when you have a sidecar or trike. Its' like having power steering when you have to pull the car around a corner. Hope that answers your query and if you check my album you will see a photo

never ride faster than your guardian angel :2133:can fly

Edited by Aussie Annie
checked with engineer on rake angle

This is a picture of leading links on another sidecar outfit I have.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/greg_in_london/sidecar/DSCF1032.jpg

Instead of relying on telescopic forks, the forks are fixed tubes, supporting a swingarm with the front wheel mounted in it.

The result is far more rigid, rolls over bumps far better and usually allows some adjustment of trail to give lighter steering.

Hi Craig,

A leading link suspension moves the centre of the axle forward ( rake angle IS changed) from the original factory forks thus making it easier to turn--when you have a sidecar or trike. Its' like having power steering when you have to pull the car around a corner. Hope that answers your query and if you check my album you will see a photo

never ride faster than your guardian angel :2133:can fly

:innocent-emoticon: Is that necessary 'cause the side car is on the wrong side? :stickpoke:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help my self...:crackup:

I used to think of it as upper body exercise when I used to use the bike and sidecar regularly, but now it gets used now and then for major trips, always heavily loaded. So I don't get to build up my strength, just abuse my body. Mind you, the suspension upgrades have made quite a difference.