IGNORED

$10 Carb Sync

I would like to share my experience with the "Bebe" method.

I made two loops of tube.. one completely closed off with a bebe inside (the 'gravity' bebe) and another loop just outside of that one. I used two vacuum restrictors on either side of that tube, and connected those tubes to the carb sync ports.

I started the bike and warmed it up, got it to idle around 1000, and hooked it up. The vacuum bebe was dancing back and forth about a distance of 1/2", so I did my best to center the motion with the gravity bebe. Seemed to work okay and balanced 1 to 2, 3 to 4, and finally 2 to 4.

Took it out for a spin. I think it definitely rides better, could just be my imagination though. Feels very smooth in 2nd gear at 3500RPMS or so.

Got home and just for fun, hooked up my home made liquid sync. Way off.

It rides better so I am not as concerned with it anymore. Should I try again with the bebes? Should I have sync'ed 2 to 3 at the end instead? I know the manual says 2 to 3 but i forgot and I didnt have the manual with me :/

I may try again using a larger loop for the tubing. My current one has a small, maybe 4.5" or 5" diameter. I wonder if its too tight for the bebe. The bebe doesnt seem to be bothered by it, but the ones I've seen here seem to do the trick. Does having 2 or 3 wraps on the vacuum coil make a difference??

Edited by stevestloo

• 4 weeks later...

OK all you guys are really building my courage to try and sync my own carbs on my just bought 04 venture.

Yall did a great job of writing the directions However Im still a visual kinda guy ( week imagination) Can any one sync there carbs put it on youtube and let me watch.

John:fingers-crossed-emo

Here's a rig that another member sent me...I THINK it was CdnDave...Sorry if I'm wrong!

Ayyway...easy to build, and easy to use.

Only one guage, 4 tubes with shut off valves.

The only thing to watch out for is don't buy thin walled tubing.

I did and when the tubing got hot, it collapsed from the vacume.

The total price of the parts (from Princess Auto) was under $20

if the valves are the right size, you don't have to worry about the adaptors and nipples.

I've been reading this thread and others about syncing my carbs. I like the idea of building my own tool to do the job. I went with the Snapple bottle method and built one based on the discription and pictures. I did use ATF instead of colored water because I thought it would be more stable. For anyone else wanting to build this tool I have a little trick I found on another forum. When filling the bottles, only fill one. Fill it twice as full as you need. Then put everything together and suck the line on the empty bottle that hooks up to the bike. You will transfer half of the fluid to the empty bottle without any bubbles. I also found that a blue butt connector inline would work nicely as a restrictor.

Now that I have my sync tool (and it does work!) I have come to my problem. The instructions in the link posted in this thread don't match my bike! I know that the factory manual is wrong but, the screws that I'm to adjust for carbs 3&4 and for syncing left to right aren't where the pictures show them. The screw for syncing 1&2 is right where the pictures show looking from the right side of the bike, but it seems to be bottomed out. I can only turn it counter clock wise. If I look from the left side of the bike I can see 2 screws on the 3&4 linkage that look like they might be the other adjustment screws. I have a 1996 RSTC and as far as I know it is stock. I have atached pictures of my bike to show what I'm talking about. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

:178:

dug050 sent me a PDF for the early RSTD's. It does show the adjustment screws located differenty from the newer RSTD's and Ventures. I have included a link for anyone who might need it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49436&d=1282743896

I went out this morning and hooked up my sync tool. It woked perfectly. :thumbsup:

It was out of balance on 3&4 and right to left. I did find that you have to have a lite touch on the screwdriver to get an accurate setting. Too much push pressure will change the reading without chqanging the setting. With a little practice I found the right touch. By the way, the screw that was bottomed out was not an adjustment screw. It was right above the adjustment and I kept putting the screwdriver in the wrong one. :doh:

It helps to use a flashlight and glasses. (old guys rule) :178: