IGNORED

direct buy

waterbug

I just a thing in the mail for me to go to direct buy for a open house. I dont know a soul who has ever been there or knows anything about it but they do say they can save you a bunch of money but I tend not to believe til its proven to me. ANyone out ther know anything about these?

I just a thing in the mail for me to go to direct buy for a open house. I dont know a soul who has ever been there or knows anything about it but they do say they can save you a bunch of money but I tend not to believe til its proven to me. ANyone out ther know anything about these?

I don't truly no anything about them but i have heard negative things. I can't even remember what has been said but it wasn't good.

I joined back in 2000 for $2400 Canadian and have saved over $40,000 in purchases. Not everything you want or need is a savings. Some things like furniture can be 3 to 4 times the manufactures cost. You must do your comparison shopping before you purchase the items. I have even purchased and saved money on the truck I drive today.

Another thing is each location has local merchants that give the store deals. My truck was one of them. In Toronto the auto sales are very competitive so the dealers had incredible deals for members, but when I move to Barrie the Direct Buy does not deal with the Auto dealerships so if I want to purchase another new vehicle I would have to go back down to Toronto.

Each individual has different needs for purchasing and the club is not suited for everyone’s needs. People that are furnishing homes I think tend to have better saving then people looking to purchase electronic items. Electronic items are very competitively priced so the mark up may only be 15 to 25%. Items like draperies tend to have a large mark, some as much as 500%.

So depending on the stage of life you are at, it dictates what purchases you are required to make. This in turn will reflect on the amount of savings you will save. I was lucky and I joined when I had just purchased a new home and needed new appliances and furniture. Hence the $40k savings. Now my parents if they had joined would still be waiting to see a savings because the have everything they need and want. This would be a waste of money for them.

So there is not a straight answer to the question because it depends on your stage of life and the new purchases you need to make in the next 5 yrs or so. As I stated it has been a real benefit to me but not to others.

If you are starting from scratch on a house project of your own (and I mean you're going to fill the house with everything new), it's a pretty good deal. Or if you had a bunch of apartments to fill, you might find it worthwhile. From what I've been told it costs around $5000 to join, but I guess the discounts are pretty substantial. But again, you need to be filling the house with furniture, appliances, kitchen cabinets, etc. to recoup that $5000.

LOL We got an "invite" from them too.. Ours was in the form of a good sized package that included a plastic car key that you were suppose to try and maybe win a new car just for taking their 90 minute presentation.. Along with this car offer was a GUARENTEE that you would win one of the following priizes.. It had everything from a walkman to 52 inch tv listed.. Each prize had a number listed by it. These prizes were listed in an envelope that you are not allowed to open and that the "official" at the store would open to determine what you had won.

I looked the envelope over and discovered that if you held it just right you could see the prize number you had won.. According to what I saw we had won a 52 inch Sony TV,,,, of course my wife and I went to the open house...

When we got there we were welcomed to some of the toughest sales drives I have ever seen.. Back in the 80's when time-sharing was the big drive we used to go to there open houses and I gotta tell you,, on a scale of 1-10 the time-share sales drives were a 1 and Direct Buys drive force was a +100!!

We finally got them to the point that they understood that all we came for was our free 52" Tv.. The guy opened the envelope and handed me a 50 cent cup holder for my prize.. I said wait a minute - I peek thru the envelope and it said the grand prize of a 52" TV.. He then showed me the envelope - yeppers,, the stupid thing was designed to show EVERYONE that prize and the rest of the letter was hidden by ink blots on the inside envelope,,,,,, so everyone who took a peek would think they were getting a TV LOL..

The Salesman laughed as he told me that I wasnt the first one to "peek".. Then I laughed and told the salesman that indeed I got fooled by that envelope BUT at least I hadnt written a $4500 check to join a company that had to trick people in order to get them to join and them I said,, so the joke is really on you I guess!!

DOnt be fooled!!!

'Puc

Listen to Cowpuc. Exact same plan happened to me. We reached into a jar for key to win Ford truck. Noticed all the keys were the same. Asked about some brand names, didn' supply. Most big manufacturers would never sell to a business like this only to lose business with large number of retailers around country. Wanted to sign me up for membership for only $5000.00