• 1 month later...

Well I'm one step further. I've felt quite uncomfortable on my recently purchased Venture. Having come from riding sport bikes the front end on this was downright scary,and the front springs were definitely toast. I also ordered some new steering head bearings, and a washer to replace the wobbly rubber one.

Initially I attempted to change the steering head bearings as there was a crashing in the front on bumps, and it was as good of a guess as any. Turns out the nut was too tight for me to break loose without an air tool, so I went on to the springs.

The spring swap turned out to be easy. I followed Progressive's recommended filling proceedure. I jacked the front wheel in the air when I went to install fork caps, and it turned out to be relatively easy.

I did this yesterday, and just went out for a 40 mile ride on surface streets, and freeways, and it felt like a brand new bike. The clunking was gone, and I was so impressed by the improvement.

Today I took it out for a spin on the twisty Ortega Hwy, and I'm sad to say that I can now feel that rubberiness in the front end, and on a few 60+ mph curves I got the wobble. I guess I'll just have to take that next step, and do the steering head. Though the bike is 20 years old, so it can't ever hurt.

Might be fork flex and some other things.

Many have put a heavier fork brace and it helps. Also other have put on solid motor mounts which tightens the motor to the frame to help eliminate twisting.

I guess I'll try the wobble washer first, seeing as I already have one, and get in line for a fork brace.