IGNORED

Need Advice on Good Rides in VA and WV

Grey Ghost

Sometime in June I am planning 7 or 8 days in Eastern Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia. Can anyone give me some advice on "must see's" and your idea's of the best rides.

I plan to ride some of the Blue Ride Parkway, but I don't really care to stay on it too much. Is there a section that is a favorite ride.

Thank's for your input.

Jeff

The Appellations that just about makes the border between Virginia & West Virginia, makes for a great ride in it self. West Virginia is nothing but winding roads and small mountains and it can take a whole day trying travel from the southern end to the eastern panhandle. What ever rout you decide on, I'm sure it will be a great memory as one of the most fun rides you did.

Go to the following site: http://www.greatroadsgreatrides.com/ .

Great Roads Great Rides is a book written by two good friends of mine. Description:

97 pages packed full of the following:

• 30 Glorious Multi-State Routes
  • Over 8,000 miles of adventurous roads in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Ohio and North Carolina
  • Easy-to-follow turn-by-turn directions
  • Narrative for each route to highlight what you will see and experience along the way
  • General maps covering the route to help visualize the journey
  • A custom "Ride Matrix" that breaks down what sights and features you will see along specific rides. Examples include Civil War sites, Ferry rides on the Eastern Shore, National and State Parks, etc. The Ride Matrix includes the page number of the ride, and the miles covered.
  • Complete web support featuring links and updates
  • Compact size and spiral binding for easy use on the road.
  • A mix of 1-, 2-, and more-day rides

You can order the book directly from the authors on the website.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

There is an exit off of the Blue Ridge Parkway just north of Roanoke VA and it is either for Glasgow or Buena Vista (I cant remember) that says RV's are prohibited.

YOU MUST take this road in both directions!!!! VERY twisty and with a good elevation change!!!!! Challenging and fun!!!!!! NARROW at some points!!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

If you are in the area of Petersburg W. VA. make sure you check out Smoke Hole Rd. It's off Rt. 55/28 on the west side of Petersburg. I rode this last fall and what a gorgeous road. There are so many roads in this area of Va. and W. Va that you can't go wrong. I will be going back to Smoke Hole Rd to ride again though.