IGNORED

looking at different units

I have just started looking at GPS units and need some basic info. I know that they are tied into satellites and they have different maps that they use. The info I need is how are you satisfied with what you have and what kind it is. Also the best price that you have seen for the unit that you have. As I see it there is basiclly only 2 kinds, the Tom Tom and the Zumo. Are there different brands that are out there that I just haven't been able to find or is that it? Does everything that is needed to hook the unit up and be useable come with it, or is there more that is needed?

Any info will be appreciated.

Don H.

I use the garmin Quest in my car and have used it when riding my scoot and find it very good to use for basic navigating, and i have the ram motorcycle mount and the holder to tie it into my bikes stereo, but havnt hooked it up yet. It doesnt have a lot of extra features like bluetooth etc that I probably wont use, but i like the fact that its waterproof.

If you shop around I have seen garmin quest2 on sale for around 150 bucks at Tigerdirect.com from time to time.

Here is the link to a review, http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/garmin-quest-2/4505-3430_7-31468208.html?tag=also

Brian

This has been discussed in a bunch of threads. There are many companies out there. Garmin, Lowrance, Magellen, and Tom Tom seem to be the most prevalent. I have an IWay 500C from Lowrance, loads of great features, especially the waterproof part. It is heavy though. Recently got a Garmin Nuvi 765, very light, not quite as versatile as the IWay and not waterproof. I like them both but will be wiring the bike for the Nuvi once I get the RAM mount in.

The important part, IMHO, is to do some research as to what is available, then decide what is important to you. There are some sites online that do reviews, I believe CNet has some on GPS. There have been several threads on the forum where folks have gone into detail on the GPS units they own or have used. A search should yield a wealth of info for you.

Don, the only GPS unit I own is the Zumo.

I'm really impressed with it and I also have the XM radio puck. I found that this XM radio works better than the other two units that I had. It also has the bluetooth so I can answer my phone through the headset.

Guest RawHide

I have a little known brand call a Plenio. It comes with a 7 inch screen and shows positioning info, number of satelittes and speed all on the same screen at the same time. It doesn't have bluetooth capablity but that's okay my phone works fine. It's not waterproof but fits nicely in a ziplock bag. The only issue i had with it was that I had to reload the map info into the chip. Price $100.00 It was a bargain and a half.

It also has touch screen and can do most of what the other GPS' can do AND it will play music, music videoes, and movies downloaded onto the gig card.

Major draw back, it doesn't have a battery in it or a home use adaptor. We got around that with a simple clip device hooked to a bike battery. thats my 2 cents.