IGNORED

-- 8 hours of work --

GeorgeS

I spent 8 hours working on a 188,000 mile 97 Mercedes Benz, 6 cylinder today.

Jezzzzz I hate working on those things !! I had another beater MB, back about 15 years ago ( again, something one of my kids bought ) and did a lot of work on it.

Thats when I decided, I would Never buy an MB, Old, New, Used, Wrecked, whatever whatever--- They are HELL to work on !!!

I'm glad I no longer work on Mercedes Benz. They are good running cars but once you have to start doing maintenance on them you will learn to hate them real quick.

When someone ask me if I would work on their M.B. I say NOOOOOOO......

Just thinking about it gives me the:snow2:

Sorry if I hurt some ones feeling on this matter.

All Auto mechanics have their hates & discontents on most anything built these days. Plus its Getting where all the Vehicles now days are nothing more than computers on wheels.

Buddy

M.B.s may be nice when they're new, but when those fun little gimmicks quit working, look out. There is way too much electronic stuff in those vehicles to go bad. Nothing but bells and whistles. Why is an electric motor needed to adjust the tilt on the steering wheel? Just too much work to pull a lever? And brake disc heaters??? Why? If they quit working, you'd never even know it. I refuse to ever buy one and support this kind of stuff.

The odd thing about them, is you can " see " most everything in the engine compartment, BUT, you just can't seem to get a Wrench on Anything,

I was laying under the engine looking for a leak, I think I can see, it, Might be a Freez Plug leaking, but, no access-- now what ??

While laying under there I saw the " Alternator " and I'm thinking , gezzz how would you change that ??

Anyway, if you got the money for a new one, well thats fine !! But don't ever buy one with over 100K on it, no matter what the price

MB aren't designed for shadetree mechanics.

Get yourself a two post lift and a table to set the engine/powertrain on and you can fix anything in the engine compartment within a couple of hours.

That's how we did it when I worked for Jack Roush.