IGNORED

1300 Oil Leak

Guest wildcelt

Guest wildcelt

I just got a fantastic deal on an 86 Venture Royale with 43K miles on it and I expected issues with it. This one seems to have an oil leak directly below the saddle and it drips onto the exhaust causing smoke.

Does anybody have any idea where I should start looking and what it may be?

I must say that the Venture is a fantastic bike and I am looking forward to many years of riding.

Well, right in front of the shock area is where all the drain hoses exit. Is it possible that the one that drains excess oil got moved up or truncated so that it's dripping on the exhaust.

How full is the oil. Check the sight glass and make sure it's not over full. These bikes like the level halfway up the sight glass, between the two marks. If it's over full it blows oil out of the crankcase and into the breather box. You'll see a lot of oil accumulation on the left side rear cylinder and on the left rear carb area if it's too full.

My 89 has had a small leak in that area for a few years.I tried to fix it on the cheap by using some Permatex on the valve cover gaskets when I had it apart to check valve clearance this past winter.However,it didnt work very well,it's leaking more than ever out of the rear gasket.Long story short I'll be replacing the valve cover gaskets real soon,I hate oil leaks!:080402gudl_prv:

It is most likely leaking at the stator wires. They pass thru the stator cover in a rubber grommet which shrinks over time and causes oil to drip. I tried to fix mine with some silicone a short while ago and reported success, but it has since started dripping again. Short of replacing the stator and getting new grommets with it, the best strategy is to only fill the oil to the half-way spot in the site glass and park the bike on the center stand. That's what I'm doing now while I decide whether I want to pop for the expensive fix.

It is most likely leaking at the stator wires. They pass thru the stator cover in a rubber grommet which shrinks over time and causes oil to drip. .

I second that. The wire leak is right over the cross-over and it will smoke until it burns off. The clutch slave is in that area too, and if leaking will also cause the bike to smoke a bit.

Guest wildcelt

Well I guess that this goes with the territory of not having an owners manual. When I noticed that the sight glass was 1/2 full I figured that it needed oil so I added oil until the sight glass of full.

I think my problem is solved.

Thanks for the posts

Well, right in front of the shock area is where all the drain hoses exit. Is it possible that the one that drains excess oil got moved up or truncated so that it's dripping on the exhaust.

How full is the oil. Check the sight glass and make sure it's not over full. These bikes like the level halfway up the sight glass, between the two marks. If it's over full it blows oil out of the crankcase and into the breather box. You'll see a lot of oil accumulation on the left side rear cylinder and on the left rear carb area if it's too full.

ON the aft Small cover, left side, has 6 bolts on it.

The Lower Bolt, has a Crush , copper seal . under the bolt head, If this seal is leaking it would have to be replaced.

This bolt is actually an Oil drain for the aft part of the Tran case.

I just put a new seal on mine last week. You may have to pull the cover, and put a new gasket under the cover also, plus the crush washer.

"This bolt is actually an Oil drain for the aft part of the Tran case. "

Why is this not mentioned in the manual?? I learned about it here and have done it every oil change. Enough comes out to be significant in my humble opinion - so why did the Yammy document writers ignore it?

As RandyA said, this site is so cool in facilitating us to pool our various amounts of knowledge and experiences.

Jeremy

"This bolt is actually an Oil drain for the aft part of the Tran case. "

Why is this not mentioned in the manual?? I learned about it here and have done it every oil change. Enough comes out to be significant in my humble opinion - so why did the Yammy document writers ignore it?

As RandyA said, this site is so cool in facilitating us to pool our various amounts of knowledge and experiences.

Jeremy

There is another bolt that also would serve that function, is located next to the shift rod going through the lower engine case (not the left stator cover). I found it earlier this year, when the bottom end was apart. It could be a PITA to get at, as I haven't checked since putting the bike back together.