IGNORED

April issue of Rider magazine

midnightventure

Yeah,

In 1983, the Yamaha Venture was picked as Bike of the Year in the touring class. And the GL1100 Aspencade couldn't hold a candle to it with it's frame mounted fairing, where the Venture pioneered the integrated fairing to where if you damaged one side of the fairing, you just had to replace that section or piece instead of the entire fairing. But this victory was short lived because Honda only let Yamaha get them for one year at a time. Because Honda came back with both feet in 84 with the GL1200 Aspencade with all of the bells and whistles and took the title back.

I just remember the day after I picked up my black 83 Venture the issue of Rider came out to review the Venture. And I sat on the front step of my house with the bike parked in the driveway and read the entire article. And since then it's been a great AdVenture :)

Rick

I received Rider in the mail yesterday and proceeded to screw up my sleep schedule and read it all. It is their 35 anniversary issue and they were listing the 35 bikes that were deemed most significant over the last 35 years. They weren't rated top to bottom, just listed by year. The Venture was selected #10 because of the year, not the importance.

Also listed was the KLR650 and the Yamaha Virago. Nice to have 3 from the list.

RR

Also listed was the KLR650 and the Yamaha Virago. Nice to have 3 from the list.

RR

I keep tellin' you guys.....the Virago is a great bike!! Love the Venture for cruising, sightseeing, and long rides, but the Virago makes me feel like I'm 16 again!!!!!!!!!!!! Vroooooooooooooom Vroooooooooooom!!!! :dancefool:

Totally different bikes. Venture is heavy, minor vibrations, comfortable, OK handling, great 2 up, long distance bike, smooth riding, good looking. Virago 1100 is light, much better handling, vibrates way too much, hard riding, great in town, too small for 2 up except locally, and I love all the chrome.

But if I want speed my Gixxers are it. Also they are totally vibrationless, extremely reliable, semi-comfortable, smooth riding, easy to work on.

Many of my friends are getting more than 1 bike, I'm just a "BAD" influence. Their wives don't like me, WHY? :cool10:

Guest Oldsalt

I thought this was a great issue (high praise from me), not because of the bike listings but because of the 35 places to ride, 35 nice to have things, and the review of the 2009 GeezerWing. What I found interesting in the GW review, they said there were only two other bikes in the touring group; H/D Ultra and BMW's tour bike. Nothing about RSV. Ouch!

Oldsalt

I thought this was a great issue (high praise from me), not because of the bike listings but because of the 35 places to ride, 35 nice to have things, and the review of the 2009 GeezerWing. What I found interesting in the GW review, they said there were only two other bikes in the touring group; H/D Ultra and BMW's tour bike. Nothing about RSV. Ouch!

Oldsalt

what an insult, now i am officially a geezer. :rasberry: just kidding. you can't hurt my feelings. the wing still sets the standard :clap2::clap2::2133:

Totally different bikes. Venture is heavy, minor vibrations, comfortable, OK handling, great 2 up, long distance bike, smooth riding, good looking. Virago 1100 is light, much better handling, vibrates way too much, hard riding, great in town, too small for 2 up except locally, and I love all the chrome.

But if I want speed my Gixxers are it. Also they are totally vibrationless, extremely reliable, semi-comfortable, smooth riding, easy to work on.

Many of my friends are getting more than 1 bike, I'm just a "BAD" influence. Their wives don't like me, WHY? :cool10:

The Virago in Rider was the 750. However, the Gixxer made the list too.

RR

Oldsalt

The 2nd Gen RSV was technologically behind the GW even when introduced in '99. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Rider that there are really only 2 competitors in the GW class - the BMW and the HD.

However, I prefer my RSV for comfort - I like the foot boards out front; style - most beautiful touring bike around; price, warranty, and serviceability - I can actually work on a RSV.

It's a keeper.

Perhaps Gen 3 will give the GW a run for its money.

RR

The 2nd Gen RSV was technologically behind the GW even when introduced in '99. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Rider that there are really only 2 competitors in the GW class - the BMW and the HD.

However, I prefer my RSV for comfort - I like the foot boards out front; style - most beautiful touring bike around; price, warranty, and serviceability - I can actually work on a RSV.

It's a keeper.

Perhaps Gen 3 will give the GW a run for its money.

RR

when i was sitting here thinking about some snarley thing to add to this thread, it came to mind how wonderful it is to have the vast choice of bikes we have to choose from. i think back at all the bikes i've had and the reasons i bought them and everyone of them had something that stood out that i liked about it. no matter how it looked to someone else i loved it. i think the new 3rd gen will be impressive and the all new 2010 wing will to. as will all the new bikes in the future. when i had my rstd i loved it. and all i heard and still do is people complaining about the whine, lack of fuel injection, the tape deck, the top heaviness, yamaha's lack of interest in the wants of there customers, and on and on. the only problem i had with my rstd was i have bad legs and it was only a matter of time before i dumped it at low speeds and my wife or i got hurt. had some close calls. it whined with the best of them but i did'nt care. i still loved it, and did'nt complain. now i got a wing. on another thread i have posted on, wings are junk and ventures are far better. not so. i have had both and they are both great bikes. i would be glad to ride and own either one. the wing has it's pluses and the venture has it's pluses. who cares whether your bike makes the top 35 list or where it rates in position. if you like it thats what counts. :clap2: snarley bill

when i was sitting here thinking about some snarley thing to add to this thread, it came to mind how wonderful it is to have the vast choice of bikes we have to choose from. i think back at all the bikes i've had and the reasons i bought them and everyone of them had something that stood out that i liked about it. no matter how it looked to someone else i loved it. i think the new 3rd gen will be impressive and the all new 2010 wing will to. as will all the new bikes in the future. when i had my rstd i loved it. and all i heard and still do is people complaining about the whine, lack of fuel injection, the tape deck, the top heaviness, yamaha's lack of interest in the wants of there customers, and on and on. the only problem i had with my rstd was i have bad legs and it was only a matter of time before i dumped it at low speeds and my wife or i got hurt. had some close calls. it whined with the best of them but i did'nt care. i still loved it, and did'nt complain. now i got a wing. on another thread i have posted on, wings are junk and ventures are far better. not so. i have had both and they are both great bikes. i would be glad to ride and own either one. the wing has it's pluses and the venture has it's pluses. who cares whether your bike makes the top 35 list or where it rates in position. if you like it thats what counts. :clap2: snarley bill

We are especially fortunate to live in a time and place where we have great bikes and great roads to ride them on. I can't get enough of riding in North America. You won't hear me complaining about anything on either my 91 Venture or my 05 Wing. They both bring me incredible enjoyment.

Ride on.

We are especially fortunate to live in a time and place where we have great bikes and great roads to ride them on. I can't get enough of riding in North America. You won't hear me complaining about anything on either my 91 Venture or my 05 Wing. They both bring me incredible enjoyment.

Ride on.

you are right on and said a mouthful. one problem according to some, our bikes don't look like motorcycles. how could we possibly find enjoyment in them or even appear in public with them? can't believe they actually found all of those people to buy them. maybe we know something some others don't know yet. could it be that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :2133:

Guest Nevada Max

I've had both the K-BMW and GW and they are not in the same league as this new toy Royal Star. My GW held its value and was able to sell my GW2003 and do well but with my K BMWer I had to carry paper.

There is something very special feeling "Metal between the Thighs" (MBT) and having a v-4. I hope Yamaha never goes plastic ever.

From Spring Training

Nevada Max

I've had both the K-BMW and GW and they are not in the same league as this new toy Royal Star. My GW held its value and was able to sell my GW2003 and do well but with my K BMWer I had to carry paper.

There is something very special feeling "Metal between the Thighs" (MBT) and having a v-4. I hope Yamaha never goes plastic ever.

From Spring Training

Nevada Max

and the rstd is not in the same league as the wing. two totally different bikes and and designs. like i said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. the rstd is not in the same league as my vstar 1300 would'nt trade even for one. but i loved my rstd while i had it. just had to move on to things more suitable for me. as did you. nothing wrong with that. :2133: