IGNORED

A little of Pike's Peak

Bummer

Part of the first gravel section up Pike's Peak, ruts, washboard, and all.

And I was going to do it, because I thought it was paved all the way up now. I guess if I had brought a dirt bike along, I would have done it, but I don't think an RSV was made for this kind of driving.:confused24:Yes it can be done, but you better not be in any hurry.:whistling:

We've been up twice. Once on an '85 first gen, and again this year. There are two sections that are hard pack with a little crushed stone on top. It's not too bad if you just take it easy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfskQrXnccY]YouTube - Pike's Peak 2[/ame]

Thanks for the memories. The wife and I made that trip a few years back on a Goldwing. Back then, most of the road was dirt, only the first section was paved, and there were NO guard rails. We had clouds on one side of the mountain, and nice sunshine on the other. So we went from seeing a beautiful vista, to being in a fog that barely allowed you to see 10 yards in front of you. The hardest part for me was that I was stuck behind a car that took each hairpin curve about 3 or 4 mph. It was hard to keep the bike balanced maneuvering like that. It was early June, and they were staging the cameras and vans for the Pikes Peak hill climb. After we got home, I watched those guys race flat-out up that mountain on TV, with a new respect for what they were doing.

I enjoyed the adventure. My wife says she will never do that again.

Glad to help out.

The first time Irene and I went up Pike's Peak we started a bit late in the day, considering weather patterns. We got hailed on right after we started down. It didn't last long but it was sure a wake up call. This time we were on the mountain by nine. It rained, but it was two hours after we got down.

Going there certainly changed how I viewed the Pike's Peak race. I really don't think I want to go fishtailing around many of those curves.

I've been told that if I go up there again it'll be alone. Considering Irene's poor reaction to the altitude this time I certainly agree. I, on the other hand, would go again tomorrow. I loved the challenge of both it and Mount Evans.

I was there last September on the 86 but it snowed the night before and the road was closed half way up (at about 9 miles as I recall), so I rode up that far with friends that had a rental car.

But I did do the whole thing a few years ago driving a 40 passenger tour bus. Now THAT was an experience, especially coming back down!

My wife and I were visiting my parents in Denver about 2 years ago, and my father wanted to go up Pikes Peak.

I drove his cage.

What a cool road!!!!! Scary and fun at the same time.

IIRC it was Thanksgiving and it was a warm day at about 70 degrees.

When we got to the top the temp was -4........... and the air was t h i n

I am used to the air here a sea level and WOW that was a shock!!!!!!!

Tanks for sparking good memories!!!!!

It was in the high 80s when we started up and low 90s when we got down. The ranger at the top said it was 52. Nice riding weather, actually.

The only people who didn't seem to be having trouble with the altitude were the bicyclists, but then they're obviously deranged.

I'm glad you enjoyed them.