IGNORED

Motorcycle Safety Classes - Illinois Residents

Cerviperus

The motorcycle safety classes, put on by the MSF and Illinois State University, have started filling slots for this years courses. I'm a little late on this one, as a lot of them have been filled (the beginner ones anyways). I signed up for the experienced one in Springfield on the 24th of March with my dad and 3 others, so it should be a good time.

If anyone is interested, you can find more info here. :thumbsup2:

You have to use your own bike for the experienced ones don't you? Don't think I would want to use an RSV for some of those manuevers
That's correct. I don't really want to risk downing my bike either, but I figure if I'm not comfortable with something, I'll simply run over a cone. At least in this case I have a safe alternative, whereas if the same situation arose on the road, who knows. My dad will be taking it on his 1500 Wing, and one of the others is on a full-dress Harley.

One of the gentlemen has taken it before, years ago, and said he actually learned more from the in-class portion than the riding part. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

I took it on my RSV and had no problems at all. There is nothing better than knowing that you can do them on the bike that you ride every day.

That's the entire point of the experienced riders course. If you already have your license, who cares if you fail? You need to know how to operate your machine, safely, in all circumstances.

This is why I bought my 01 last weekend. I had planned to purchase in the fall of this year, but have been hired to teach The MSF course in South WI. Part of the application process requires you to take the MSF Course again (if you haven't had one with-in three years). I want to use the RSV to teach the courses, so I need to start preparing now.

Finally, the RSV is an excellent close-quarters parking-lot combat machine. Really only bested by the 250cc class bikes used in the basic course. I have no problem turning the RSV around in two parking spaces. And I have only had my RSV for 5 days. (It looked lonely in the garage, so I rode to the local parking lot this weekend to play around and get used to it.)

If you really want to test your skills, try an sportbike... My friend picked up an 07 R1 last fall. I took him to a parking lot to practice a few maneauvers. The clutch was so "grabby" I couldn't get the thing to turn. It was awesome out on the road, but just not designed for anything slow.

I took it on my RSV and had no problems at all. There is nothing better than knowing that you can do them on the bike that you ride every day.

I agree, and I plan on dooing the course 2up with Mrs Squid soon!!!!!

To rip off a saying from my Navy days: You will ride like you train, so you should train like you ride!!!!!!!!

We have very few students drop their bike on the ERC. If you have problems you just take off and try again. My biggest problem eith the 2nd Gen is not scraping the flooboards in the U turn box. Sport bikes are harder to ride in the tight turns. Have fun Rod

If you really want to test your skills, try an sportbike... My friend picked up an 07 R1 last fall. I took him to a parking lot to practice a few maneauvers. The clutch was so "grabby" I couldn't get the thing to turn. It was awesome out on the road, but just not designed for anything slow.

I agree!!!!

BTW did you drag your rear brake like is shown in the Ride Like PRO DVDs?

I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to it.

From those of you that have taken it, or those that help teach, I have a question. I'm very heavily considering picking up a copy of "Ride Like A Pro". Would it be beneficial for me to do so before I take the ERC in May, or would I be better off waiting? I'm just thinking that I'm going to learn more from actual in-class and hands-on instruction than I am from a DVD, but the DVD may supplement what I learn at the ERC nicely.

Thoughts?

I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to it.

From those of you that have taken it, or those that help teach, I have a question. I'm very heavily considering picking up a copy of "Ride Like A Pro". Would it be beneficial for me to do so before I take the ERC in May, or would I be better off waiting? I'm just thinking that I'm going to learn more from actual in-class and hands-on instruction than I am from a DVD, but the DVD may supplement what I learn at the ERC nicely.

Thoughts?

I have not seen the DVD, but I would be willing to bet that the DVD teaches a lot of the same topics as MSF, and in the same way. That being said, there is a psychological theory that says you do not learn something the first time you are taught. It actually takes multiple lessons to learn something dificult. This may explain why I nearly failed freshman physics in college, but ended up on dean's list and tutoring physics as an upper classman.

I say, buy the DVD, watch it, go to MSF and keep an open mind. The DVD will be reinforced by the MSF course. For the few (minor) areas where the DVD and MSF conflict, will give you the opportunity to ask good questions, enabling you to learn even more.

I would get the DVD and watch it 100 times before attend the course. tell them you are a member here and you will get a small discount.... IIRC $5.

The two training sessions compliment each other.

The only thing in the DVD is trailing the rear brake. this is a Motor Officer trick to get the bike to turn tighter and to give you more control, but he does not come out and state it.

The benefit of the DVD is you can watch it again and again and again and again and again and again and again...... If you want to attend a MSF course you must pay and wait for an opening.

Repetition is the KEY to learning most motor skills.