IGNORED

Muffler Replacement 1984

Heartbeat

I need to replace my mufflers and I am considering putting on a set of aftermarkets that a friend is giving me. I was told at one time someone posted specs of a pipe to make for between the collector and an aftermarket muffler. Specs would consist of pipe size (diameter), length, location of bend, and degree of bend. Does anyone have these specs or can they direct me where to find them at?

Also, are there any ideas of how to cover this pipe to make it look nice such as chroming it, heat paint, powder coat, etc.?

And, is there by chance any way to get this pipe already fabricated and chromed?

Thanks for your help.

I remember the post, but not the poster. He put a set of glass-paks on his 1stGen, and bent an adapter from the collector to the muffler. He also posted a video. Not sure if it's still available on the board. I've never seen an adapter available on the aftermarket. And you can chrome anything for a price... :) Good luck.

take your muffler off and measure the pipe size which if my memory serves me right is 1 3/4 inch and you are looking for a pipe with a 20 degree bend in it. you local Napa or auto parts store should have the piece of pipe already done up. just paint it or take it in somewhere to get it chromed. the pipe is around 12 inches long and i mounted a set of road kings on my 86. the stock yamaha clamps held the pipe to the collector and a couple of harley clamps held the road kings to the extension pipe. i fabricated a couple of brackets to hang the road kings to my saddlebag rails .

cheers, Scott

I made some adapters with the bend in them to adapt RK mufflers to my 1st. gen. I just took the RK muffler to my local Midas Muffler shop, the owner goes to my church, and told him what I needed and how much bend I needed and presto, he bent it up on his pipe bender and stretched the pipe to fit the muffler. The bend wasnt much, about 16 degree if I remember right and they worked perfect. I had a post here but I think it was pre-crash, so it got lost. Hope this helps you a little.........Good luck and dont forget the pics.....:doh: