IGNORED

Trailer wiring problem

SBSRKH

I'm wiring my 2003 venture for a trailer plug. I'm using a Hoppy #48915 which is supposed to convert independant signal/brake light, to the common combined system. I ran 4 relay's so I didn't stress the system. The problem is, all I get on the plug is tail lights, no signals or brakes. I tracked all five wires back, and even right before they go into the converter they all work fine. On the other side of the coverter/plug, of the 4 wires, only the tail light has power. Did I get a bad converter? I've read where people have used Hoppy #48845, and I don't see anything different with what I have other than the converter is in the plug and not inline. Where an I going wrong:confused24:?

Thanks

Steve

I copyed and pasted this from another thread I posted.

I had a heck of a time with my converter,I too thought it was bad and took it back and exchanged it for another and this is what I found and had to do.

Hope this helps you...........................Ron

Here you go and this may save someone else a headache.

The converter is called T.A.P. HOPPY circuit guard for a Toyota cost is 15.00. I bought it at Northern tool.

T.A.P. ---------------Bike

Tail - Brown----------- Yellow

Left - Yellow-----------Brown

Right - Green ----------Green

Brake - Red ------------Blue

Then there is a BIG RED WIRE to the positive post on the battery and a white to ground.

Hope this helps out I have not had any trouble with it at all............................................Ron

Thanks for the Reply Ron,

Do happen to know what the part #, or what model Toyota the circuit guard was for? I looked on the Hoppy web site : http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com and I don't see and circuit type guards. They list kits by make and Model. If I pick any toyota, they show a direct plug in, or a splice in kit, which is the part number I have (48915 Taillight Converter ). I looked at Northerns web site, and they have the "Tap" by Hoppy kits, but they are vehicle specific also.

Sorry for more questions, I'll try to stop by Northen and look in person.

Thanks

Steve

I called Hoppy and talked to a tech. He claimed that with motorcycles, some will work, some will not. He said he gets calls all the time from bike shops that have two models of the same bike and one will work, and one will not. They even swap the harness from the working bike to the non working bike, and the harness just won't work on the one bike. I guess its magic, either that or he was late for lunch and it was a good way to get me off the phone. He did give me a couple ways to check the converter, so that way I can decide if the converter is bad or I have one of the magic non working ventures. I asked about the circuit protector, he said it was Part #46255 which is an isolator. I'm sure its a good idea to have, but those are apparently magic also, because that may or may not solve my problem according to him. So if anyone has any wiring advise, or any spells that I can cast on my bike I would appreciate it:bang head:.

Thanks!

Steve

ok , if you are using relays you cannot use a tap , the relays are not enough of a load to make the tap work . if you are trying to go from a 5 wire to a 4 trailer and are using 4 relays you need 1 more relay and 2 diodes the diodes gos between the stop light wire and the rite and left turn wire the arrow on the diodes point to the turn wires . or put a universal 5 to 4 converter between the 5 relays and the 4 wire trl. if your confused you can call me i am a retired r.v. tech and build m/c trls. on the side .

good luck is not hard just sounds that way

thom 386-717-1816

Thanks Thom!!

I pulled the wires from the relays and hooked them direct, and now I have power to the signals and brake light!!:cool10:. Now I have a few more questions:

I have relays and the conveter Part #48915 ($13), I also picked up a Part #46255 ($40) which is the powered box that converts and isolates the trailer. What would you use?

Should I use relays at all? I thought I was helping the load on the signals, but it might be more hassle than its worth?

If I go with the relay and diodes you suggested, I follow you with diodes, I just hook them up after the relays between the brake wire and the signal wires, but where do you use the 5th relay? I currently have 4 relays, 1 for taillight, brake, and each signal.

I won't get a chance to work on it tonight, but If its too hard to explain, I may give you a call.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!

Steve

sorry , i have old fart problem , thinking of running lites , you only need 4 relays . the isolator needs a good load to work thats the 1 with the battery wire and cost to much on m/cs i like using relays because they don't need a large load , try putting the 5 to 4 before the relays if that don't work put it behind the relays . when i wire a m/c trl i use a 6 way round plug from the m/c to the trl and install the relays and diodes inside the trl. that is on a 4 wire trl . i prefer wiring the trl to a 5 wire with a large tail lite in the center and the turn lites on the sides , the neet way to run the lites is use 2 element lites for the turn sigs wire the stoplite side of the left , rite , center , to your stoplite wire than wire the other side of your left side and rite side up to your turn wires . if you use all leds when you hit your brakes you will have a lite show .

forgot agin on a 6 wire plug the blue pin is the battery wire to power the relays also good for inside lite or cigliter to charge cell phone .

if you need me give a call i'll be up for the next 2 hrs.

good luck

thom

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go and this may save someone else a headache.

The converter is called T.A.P. HOPPY circuit guard for a Toyota cost is 15.00. I bought it at Northern tool.

T.A.P. ---------------Bike

Tail - Brown----------- Yellow

Left - Yellow-----------Brown

Right - Green ----------Green

Brake - Red ------------Blue

Ron, this certainly saved me some headaches! Sure beat going back and forth from the back of the bike to the battery. Ran all the wires and matched them up per the guide you posted. :happy34:

And why do we need 4 relays and isolators for the trailers?

I have had no problems at all with my just my converter

hooked up and running all my trailer lights. and I mean Lots

of them as well. (about 2 years now i guess)

I was just wondering. :confused24:

Thanks,

Jeff