IGNORED

Anyone use an LED....

big mike

Taillight Bulb instead of an led board? I am considering one but I am not sure what number the bulb is ie. 1156, 1157 or if they are a total different kind of number. Also I have seen some LED bulbs that have a 90 degree bend so the light is reflected on the lens and the kind that look almost like a regular automotive bulb only with led's. HELP!!!!!!!! NOT SURE WHAT KIND TO BUY.:think:

Thanks in advance,

Big Mike

This is not a good idea, for several reasons.

First: Light fixtures and lens/reflector designs are different for LEDs compared to incandescent bulbs. Regular bulbs emit light in all directions, and a fixture must redirect and focus that light in the specific direction and pattern needed for where the fixture is mounted. LEDs typically emit light in only one direction, so the existing lens does a terrible job with it. Even the LED "bulbs" made with LEDs pointing all over the place to mimic a normal bulb do a poor job in many fixtures.

Second: Our specific tail light mounts the bulb at an angle. All LED replacement "bulbs" are designed to either point straight out from the socket or at a 90 degree angle from the socket. Neither is acceptable for this fixture.

Third: Most LED replacement "bulbs" are not as bright as incandescent bulbs. This is quickly changing, but you can rarely be sure of what you are getting in this respect. Plus, see the two problems listed above that make the brightness problem even worse.

Fourth: Your tail light must emit white light straight up to illuminate the license plate. Again, this will be a big problem for just about any LED "bulb" in this fixture.

Read more about it here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

BTW - I have done a lot of business with Superbrightleds.com, and I find their prices and service excellent. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Is there a reason you don't want to go with the LED board? The one from Custom Dynamics works extremely well, and is BRIGHTER the regular bulb...plus it has white LEDs along the top which provide lighting for the license plate.

Also, ditto on Goose's (Goose number 2...sorry, I knew the other Goose first :) ... but he's the head Goose here :) ) recommendation for superbrightsled.com. I use their bulbs on my Bushtec Roadstar trailer, and used them (until I converted to LED panels) on my Bunkhouse Camper.

Curt

1st and 2d Gen Ventures meet on Channel 29 ;)

Is there a reason you don't want to go with the LED board? The one from Custom Dynamics works extremely well, and is BRIGHTER the regular bulb...plus it has white LEDs along the top which provide lighting for the license plate.

Also, ditto on Goose's (Goose number 2...sorry, I knew the other Goose first :) ... but he's the head Goose here :) ) recommendation for superbrightsled.com. I use their bulbs on my Bushtec Roadstar trailer, and used them (until I converted to LED panels) on my Bunkhouse Camper.

Curt

1st and 2d Gen Ventures meet on Channel 29 ;)

I was hopeing to find a cheaper alternative, but that doesnt look like a good idea. Where do I find the one from custom dinamics and how much is it?

Thanks for the info,

Big Mike

I used the 1157 LED you are talking about and didn't like it at all. I don't recommend them at all.I also highly recommend the LED plate for the run/brake light. I used the one from RADIANTZ. (http://www.bikerhiway.com/radiantz-led-tail-light-for-yamaha-road-star-and-vstar-p-176.html) Very bright and very cool. 53.00

Good luck.

Edited by usnmustang