My clutch has started to slip in 4th and 5th. It's not too bad yet but I know it's time to rebuild it. I have never done it before and I need some advice about what parts to order. The pictures for the Barnett conversion are pretty helpful and I have a manual so I think I will be ok. I have no idea what parts to order though. I have looked online but everything seems to be for other bikes. I have an '89 VR. Can anyone help with what I need to do the job? Any help would be appreciated. I could also use some advice regarding where I can get the parts for a good price.

Thanks

My clutch has started to slip in 4th and 5th. It's not too bad yet but I know it's time to rebuild it. I have never done it before and I need some advice about what parts to order. The pictures for the Barnett conversion are pretty helpful and I have a manual so I think I will be ok. I have no idea what parts to order though. I have looked online but everything seems to be for other bikes. I have an '89 VR. Can anyone help with what I need to do the job? Any help would be appreciated. I could also use some advice regarding where I can get the parts for a good price.

Thanks

This is the conversion for the 1300

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/spring_conversions.aspx?cat_id=6&prod_id=36

They have a dealer locater near the top of the page.

Thanks guys. It looks like the plates and the springs are separate. Would it be a good idea to replace both? I have 75k on the bike and as far as I know it's the original clutch. I bought the bike with 26k about 18 months ago.

Thanks guys. It looks like the plates and the springs are separate. Would it be a good idea to replace both? I have 75k on the bike and as far as I know it's the original clutch. I bought the bike with 26k about 18 months ago.

Most likely, clean the steel plates & put in the spring conversion kit. I have replaced the springs in my 83 & that solved the occasional slippage in 4th & 5th. The 1300 engines have a diaphragm pressure plate, which is swapped out in this conversion.

You might consider just replacing with stock Yamaha parts. The stock clutch is very good. You will need to order the friction plates, the diaphram spring, the bolts for the diaphram spring (6 of them), and replace the wire retainer, and the clutch cover gasket. The steel plates will probably look shiney from wear, but you can use some emery cloth on them to take the shine off. Rick H at Buckeye performance can fix you up with everything that you need, plus any advice.

www.Buckeyeperformance.com

If you do the job with the bike on the sidestand, you don't even have to drain the oil, because all the oil will go to the other side of the bike.

Here's a link to the tech library article...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1062

You might consider just replacing with stock Yamaha parts. The stock clutch is very good. You will need to order the friction plates, the diaphram spring, the bolts for the diaphram spring (6 of them), and replace the wire retainer, and the clutch cover gasket. The steel plates will probably look shiney from wear, but you can use some emery cloth on them to take the shine off. Rick H at Buckeye performance can fix you up with everything that you need, plus any advice.

www.Buckeyeperformance.com

If you do the job with the bike on the sidestand, you don't even have to drain the oil, because all the oil will go to the other side of the bike.

Here's a link to the tech library article...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1062

Bad news, Rick Haffercamp of Buckeye Performance left to go on vacation, for a week, this morning. He dropped some brake pads off for me at around 7:00 A.M. on his way out of town.

Dick