IGNORED

Mixure adjustments???/

Hi all. I just synched my carbs today(first time!!) thanks to the article in the tech section!! And I was wondering if theres any way to check/adjust the Fuel mixture... The reason I ask is it "smells" rich to me at idle,maybe thats normal...I don't know.:confused24:... Thanks in advance.

Sounds more like maby a sticking float valve, or an actual leak.

I would check all the fuel supply lines going to each of the carbs.

Try some SEA-FOAM, 1/2 can for a couple of tanks of fuel, to make sure not a sticking Float Valve. Check the Overflow rubber lines, that run down behind the engine from the top of carbs. See if any sign of fuel there.

Fuel Smell without a actuall Leak is usually a Vacuum Leak somewhere beneath the Carbs. Could be only the Rubber Plugs where the carb Balancing Device hooks onto, or the Carbs don't it snug in to Rubber Boots or the Rubber Boots are cracked.

Let the Bike run on Idle and tale a Can of Brake Cleaner or anything else flammable and spray carefully Part by Part the Suspects. If the Idle raises, you found the Culprit.

Scott,

If you smell raw gas while you are driving or just starting, it can be poor mixture. If you can make it over to Freebird's maintenance weekend, you might be able to use the ColorTune to check the mixture. It worked for me up at PIP last year. It is kind of a pain, but works great.

I purchased a ColorTune from a member recently. If you can get to WI when the weather warms up, we can take care of it.

RR

Sounds more like maby a sticking float valve, or an actual leak.

I would check all the fuel supply lines going to each of the carbs.

Try some SEA-FOAM, 1/2 can for a couple of tanks of fuel, to make sure not a sticking Float Valve. Check the Overflow rubber lines, that run down behind the engine from the top of carbs. See if any sign of fuel there.

GeorgeS

Never heard of this stuff.

So what is "Sea-Foam" ? And what does this stuff do for the performance of the bike?

Sea foam is a fuel stabalizer/cleaner. Removes varnish from carbs,removes moisture from fuel. I use it as a stabalizer when I put 'er up for the winter,then periodically through out the riding season, I put some in as a fuel system cleaner.

Sea foam is a fuel stabalizer/cleaner. Removes varnish from carbs,removes moisture from fuel. I use it as a stabalizer when I put 'er up for the winter,then periodically through out the riding season, I put some in as a fuel system cleaner.

Thanks

So were would I get a can of this? and is Sea Foam the brand name?

Thanks

You can also get sea foam at Walmart for about $6. I used it and hopefully fixed my problem of a sticking float. Will run it thru occasionaly to be safe.

http://ccspecialties.org/seafoam.jpg

Click on the image of the can above to go to Seafoam's web site.

Read the MSDS for safe handling.

Seafoam is a fuel system cleaner that also has alcohol to dry and liquid water out of the fuel (a big problem for boats stored in the water due to condensation in high humidity environment) and fuel stabilizer.

To save a few bucks if you are just wanting the fuel system cleaner properties of Seafoam as an alternative is to use Coleman, or other brand of Camp Fuel at about 50% the concentration that you would use Seafoam as it does not have the alcohol that Seafoam has.

I found this at www.answers.yahoo.com

After reading the MSDS for both products, I would have to agree.