IGNORED

Air filter help

Guest retusn

I usually just lurk, but all of a sudden my 01 RSV decided it wanted to leak fuel through the left airbox. BTW, I changed the plugs, test road it and it was okay. Two days later I ride it and smell gas. Today I start it, turn it off, and fuel comes out of the airbox. Any suggestions?

tx,

Bob

Check the oil as well, if it is a stuck float the crankcase can fill with fuel as well. Ywill be able to smell fuel in the oil not too mention you may be able to see the oil level increased. This is not good, for many reasons.

Brad

Thanks for the replies. I goofed though. The fuel (drips) are not coming out of the airbox, it is coming out of the vent tubes from the carbs. I've put some sea foam in the tank and run some thru. Looks like a little improvement, but problem still exists. Again, any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Bob

it is a stuck float.

Run more sea-foam or camp fuel thru with the gasoline to dissolve it, if possible.

You can tap on the sides of the bowls with a plastic screwdriver handle to try to dislodge the debirs, but this may not remove it from the fuel system, just drop it to the bottom of the bowl, but you might open the drain screws to hope it drops out....

OR there is a procedure posted here at the forum describing how to put pure sea-foam in the carbs (I would use camp fuel as it costs less per gallon) or an air compressor to try to dislodge the debris.

Lots of help HERE (search of the word Float in the 2nd gen tech talk section of the forum.)

If not, you MIGHT have to rebuild your carbs...

Edited by KiteSquid

I had the same issue with my RSTD earlier this week. I let it cool down, tapped the sides of the carbs as best I could and then blew into the vent tube (while it was off). Not sure if this was a good idea or not but I could hear the gas clearing. I "test blew" the other vent tube and it was clear, so I figure it couldn't hurt. It started hard, but after that it was ok. The float must have come unstuck because the problem went away. Sea foam will hopefully help keep it from sticking again.

Okay, how much sea foam do I run thru my bike? I looked into the carbs and see that the right rear is leaking fuel around the needle jet and jet needle, which in turn the fuel comes up thru a small vent hole in the top of the carb. I am one of "those" people who need to ride more. I only have 12k on my 01.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I ran the stuffing out of my bike with seafoam and it still leaked. I removed the carbs today. Drained the bowls, and when I opened up the bowl it appeared as though the floats were not sticking. I then measured the float level the best I could and came up with a setting of .5 I measured with a small ruler that is measured in 64ths and they were at 32/64ths.

Could it be possible that after draining them and opening them up the float became unstuck? I have moved them up and down carefully and watched the needle valve move freely.

Should I put it back together and check it out?

Should I put it back together and check it out?

Sure - but while you are in there, I would check the diaphragms (probably OK) and make sure the floats themselves are OK (also, likely good). Spray some carb cleaner through any passages and just give each carb a good clean while they are off the bike. You won't get a good chance to do this again without a lot of work. Put it back, resynch the carbs and ride the stuffing out of it!!

Ross

Thanks for the help. I think I figured it out though. Being retired I have time on my hands. While inspecting the function of the needle valves, I notice that one of them appeared to be sticking a little - soooo I changed it with another carb on the opposite side, put it back together. Took a ride and guess what - leaking fuel out of the other bank now. So I will have to purchase some new parts. Any suggestions on where to get the best deal?

Bob

I will support my local (70+ miles away) dealer. To my knowledge there is only one dealer who works on Yamaha's in Vegas.

Update on the leak. Put it back together and still leaks thru the carb air vent. I will take it off again tomorrow and disassemble the carbs on the right bank and clean again everhthing. One question/comment. When I took the Float chamer covers off, I forgot how they went back on. I think the carb drain screws face to the inside of the frame.

Is there anything else I have overlooked before I have to spend $600+ at the dealer.

Thanks.