IGNORED

Anybody use the iPhone?

SaltyDawg

Salty,

I don't use WEP on my home WiFi network, so I don't have experience with that on the iPhone, but Apple's support documentation says that WEP is supported. On my home network, I actually have the router set to allow only the specific MAC addresses of my family's devices.

About RoadRunner and POP: I have never used RoadRunner, but here is some information about iPhone and eMail accounts. iPhone supports POP, IMAP, Exchange, GMail, Yahoo Mail and MobilMe accounts. I have used a POP account on my iPhone and it worked just fine. I don't use POP any more because it was annoying to manage some eMail on my iPhone and some on my computer. Right now, I have one Exchange account and two IMAP accounts on my iPhone, all working nicely.

Thanks for all the replies. We took the plunge tonight and bought 2.(Thank you Uncle Sam) Still trying to figure it out.

SilverT putting that much isn't actually all luxury. I put 500 miles a week just going to and from work rain or shine, hot or cold. :crying: But heck all rides are good, some are just better than others right. LOL

Att supports Road Runner POP3 mail they just warn that some Wi-Fi spots may not. I guess it's already set up to leave the mail on the server because I can still get it on my pc.

I haven't been able to get the WEP to work yet, but I'm still trying. Works great if I shut WEP off though. Much faster than the ATT Edge although it's not too aweful slow.

I can't find where to put the WEP encryption key in. I think I will do the MAC filter though that sounds fairly safe. Someone would have to hack the system and clone my MAC address to use the network. I know it won't be totally secure, but my PC has a firewall on it.

Thanks again and if I figure out how to get WEP to work I'll post it.

Saltydog,

I've read that WEP encryption is just an anoyance to those that really want to hack into your network and it just keeps the honest people honest. I use WPA encryption and it works fine with the phone. Who knows if it's any better.

Now that you have the phone here are few apps that I've found useful and/or fun to play with, most are free... White Pages mobile, Accufuel (I track my bike mileage on it), MotoChaser (biker video game), Now Playing (movie theater listing), Koi Pond (mindless fun), A Free Level (electronic level), Pandora (online radio), What's On (TV listings) and Shazam (identifies songs and artists, fun to play with)

Have fun!

DT

SilverT putting that much isn't actually all luxury. I put 500 miles a week just going to and from work rain or shine, hot or cold. :crying: But heck all rides are good, some are just better than others right. LOL

I refuse to drive to work...on the scoot or in my truck...I take public transit...why? The cost would be at least triple to take a vehicle. Gas, insurance, wear & tear, stress & frustration because of the rush hour traffic and the idiots on the road, etc, etc and then there is the cost of parking!!! ...IF you can get a monthly parking spot... it's just not worth it. Wife & I shell out $200 a month ($100 each) and let the transit take us to work... 1/2 hr of stress-free riding (it takes about the same time to drive).

I refuse to drive to work...on the scoot or in my truck...I take public transit...why? The cost would be at least triple to take a vehicle. Gas, insurance, wear & tear, stress & frustration because of the rush hour traffic and the idiots on the road, etc, etc and then there is the cost of parking!!! ...IF you can get a monthly parking spot... it's just not worth it. Wife & I shell out $200 a month ($100 each) and let the transit take us to work... 1/2 hr of stress-free riding (it takes about the same time to drive).

No public transportation out here in the boonies. I tell you what, you have never felt a shock until you shell out 23 bucks to fill a MOTORCYCLE fuel tank. That's the most I spent over the summer at one time. I have to fill the tank every other day. That was really hurting me. Felt like a pay raise when the price started dropping. LOL No problem parking either. There are 4 of us with 5 parking spaces.

Believe me I sometimes envy those with the ability to take public transit. Especially on Thursday and Friday evenings when the week has been REAL long and I have that long drive home.

Believe me I sometimes envy those with the ability to take public transit. Especially on Thursday and Friday evenings when the week has been REAL long and I have that long drive home.

No envy here. The nearest public transportation stop is ten miles from my house. My office at work is fifteen miles from a bus stop, and ten miles from my house. Using public transportation would only get me further away from the office, after driving over twice as far as just driving to the office! Rush hour traffic here means two vehicles lined up at the stop sign at Country Junction Road. There are a total of three stop signs between my house and work ten miles away. No parking problems, either.

Apparently we don't all live in the same conditions. City dwellers might go nuts out here, with no 'civilization' to keep them occupied, entertained, whatever. As for me, any time I have to go to Greenville (sixty miles away) and sit in traffic, I'm glad that I don't live in such a place.

To each his/her own.

Anyway, for those of us not dealing with city parking and roads owned by wild cabbies, and also away from snow country, riding to/from work each day is the routine. My wife drives a four-wheeled vehicle; my son and I each have a bike (V Star 650 and RSV) but no four-wheeled transport. I ride about 17,000 miles per year, mostly routine commuting -- not a luxury.

I bought my wife and I the Iphone 3G about 3 months ago. I got the 16 Gig and she got the 8 Gig.

She has not experienced any problems with her phone, but I have.

Last month I began having problems dialing as well as receiving phone calls. Email, Internet, Voicemail all worked. So basically I had the Iphone without the phone.

I spent some time online researching the issue, following many troubleshooting steps, nothing worked. I called AT&T Technical support as well as Apple and nothing worked. I ended up driving 2 hours to the nearest Apple store where the Genious Desk Technician did all of the troubleshooting steps I had already completed, to no avail.

Apple ended up replacing my Iphone for free. The tech told me he believed the built-in antenna had been damaged. When I asked why the internet, voicemail, and email still worked, he said there were actually 3 different antennas in the phone.

The replacement phone has been working great.

My wife has one problem with it, she says I spend too much time reading the news when shes driving :p

I would definitely recommend the Iphone!

I bought my wife and I the Iphone 3G about 3 months ago. I got the 16 Gig and she got the 8 Gig.

She has not experienced any problems with her phone, but I have.

Last month I began having problems dialing as well as receiving phone calls. Email, Internet, Voicemail all worked. So basically I had the Iphone without the phone.

I spent some time online researching the issue, following many troubleshooting steps, nothing worked. I called AT&T Technical support as well as Apple and nothing worked. I ended up driving 2 hours to the nearest Apple store where the Genious Desk Technician did all of the troubleshooting steps I had already completed, to no avail.

Apple ended up replacing my Iphone for free. The tech told me he believed the built-in antenna had been damaged. When I asked why the internet, voicemail, and email still worked, he said there were actually 3 different antennas in the phone.

The replacement phone has been working great.

My wife has one problem with it, she says I spend too much time reading the news when shes driving :p

I would definitely recommend the Iphone!

Thanks, we both got the 8g. Really like them.

Apparently we don't all live in the same conditions. City dwellers might go nuts out here, with no 'civilization' to keep them occupied, entertained, whatever. As for me, any time I have to go to Greenville (sixty miles away) and sit in traffic, I'm glad that I don't live in such a place.

Not this "city dweller" .... I've lived in the country many times and prefer it but there's no work for this redneck in those places. I live here coz this is where the jobs are and where the money can be made...at least in my line of work. Once I retire...man, I'm outta here!

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. GigaWhiskey and I have one. Can't live without them.

The address book is a sweet feature on these if you have two of them. I could never get the wife to keep up with an address book. But now she does. She updates, adds or does whatever to it, about 30 seconds later, it is updated on mine. Mind you, I use Mobile Me and I set her phone up to just use the address book for it. She uses GMail.

Since we have been going to open houses, she will load the address book up with where they are. We set the GPS for current location and the first house she has added to the address book. We get directions. When we are done, we do the same thing. When we are all done, they get deleted.

We get a new doctor for the kids, she adds it is the address book and GPS it and know where to go.

I Check my stocks, facebook, myspace, weather and whole bunch of stuff on it. Music video's and movies look great on it. Genius on iTunes works well. There are always new free games to download and install when you get bored of the ones you have.

Accessing VM is quick, no voice menus to go through.

You can pay your bill through the phone.

Area coverage is great.

AT&T will notify you through a free text if there is an upgrade for the phone.

It is much easier to navigate than a BB.

Tons of other nice features.

You will enjoy your new phones.