IGNORED

1st Gen Turn Signal Modification

GeorgeS

I completed this modification, last week, so far seems to be working good.

Idea: To obtain, Brighter Turn signals Front, and Rear --

I purchaced 4 each, sylvania 2357 LL ( long life ) new bulbs.

Mod to Rear Signals.

1. Remove the original 1156, Single fillament Bulb.

2. Modify two of the new 2357LL bulbs by building a " Solder Bridge " across the

two contact points on the end of bulb, then grind or file the solder bridge Flat. Then grind off the upper side "prong " of the bulb. ( just the upper one ) (((( See Photo's for Rear Bulb Modifications ))))

3. Now Install the modified 2357LL in place of the original 1156.

You now have the 28.5 watts, plus 8.3 watts, total of 36.8 Watts. The original Standared 1156, single fillament bulb, pulls about 27.7 watts.

NO, rewireing is required !!! ( a good thing ) About a 33 percent increase in Wattage.

-----------------------------

Mod. to Front Signals.

In front, the stock bulb is a standard 1157, two fillament bulb. You can just replace with the new 2357LL and this will give you about a 3.5 percent increase.

(( Do not modify the Bulb )) (( you will modify the wireing up front, each side ))

OK--- here is what I did up front.

The Blue Wire, on each front socket, is for the low wattage , front marker light filament.

Cut the Blue wire, back about 2 to 3 inches from the socket, and Splice the 2 inch pigtail into the other wire, going into the socket (( Ch, chocolate )) on left side.

-------------------------------------------------(( Dg , Dark Green )) on right side.

Now your Ch (choolate ) wire on left is feeding Both fillaments of the 2357LL on the left side, and the Dark Green is feeding both fillaments on the right side.

Same result as the above mod of the Rear turn signals.

Now just install your new 2357LL bulbs each side. Wa La, you now have 30 percent brighter front turn signals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, you now have NO, forward markers left and right, just a blue wire on each side dangleing in the breeze.

Next step, Run down to local auto parts, get a Bulb socket, for a 7 to 8 watt bulb. I think a 1056 is the one, or an LED Equivelant . And new bulbs.

Now Drill a hole inside the light assembly, mount the new socket, and hook to the (((blue ))) wire on each side, And the Ground wire. ( splice, and solder, and insulate ))

If you use an LED bulb, you will save about 1 Amp of total Current Draw on the system.

Also, if you replace the TWO stock REAR Tail/Brake lights, with 1157 LED Replacenemts, you will save another 1 amp of total Current Draw.

( I got these LED replacements at my local auto parts ) Just Replace the stock bulbs )

--------------------------------------------

You have now Decreased the total current draw by 2 Amps, from rear tail, and front markers by replaceing with LED's.

You now have 30 percent Brighter Turn Signals. ( don't worry about the added current draw of signals, cause they are seldom ON. )

And you now have LED Brake lights.

I know !! this is confuseing--- such is life --- :080402gudl_prv:

Does it work? yes, for a week so far -- everything seems OK.

Edited by GeorgeS