IGNORED

Question re: passing lights

jaadzu

Need your help.

I installed an auxilliary fuse block, recently. the hot wire has a 30 amp fuse between the battery and fuse block, and is activated by a relay. ok, here's the question...if i wire the passing lights to the aux fuse block will the passing lamps still require its own relay? :think:

Sounds like the aux fuse box is off when the key is off? That is good. Turns everything off when the key is off.

If you want to run your passing lights with the head light on both high or low beam, then you can just wire from the fuse box. (I'd still go through a switch so you can turn them off if you want too.)

If you want the passing lights to be activated by either the high or low beam, you should have the headlight wiring activate another relay the powers the passing lights and that relay can be powered off the aux fuse box.

Main thing is not to draw power for the passing lamps through the ignition switch or headlight wires. Those two are fine to activate a relay, but shouldn't really be asked to carry the power load of the passing lamps.

Need your help.

I installed an auxilliary fuse block, recently. the hot wire has a 30 amp fuse between the battery and fuse block, and is activated by a relay. ok, here's the question...if i wire the passing lights to the aux fuse block will the passing lamps still require its own relay? :think:

I personally wouldn't think so and if it were mine I wouldn't bother changing anything. Seeing it's coming off the battery directly and is plenty enough apms to handle additional load. Just be sure that the relay is atleast 30 amps as well.

Thanks for the info. the relay to aux block is 30 amps. i'm going to put a switch to the passing lamps so that i can turn them on and off when i want to. Love this site...a lot of good info. thanks, again:)

That is where the relay comes in. If you put a switch to break the power circuit you will be putting anywhere between 5.8 to 9.1 amps through that switch depending on what bulbs you have in or intend to go to in the future. That's a lot of amperage that you don't want to get popped by on a rainy day.

The relay breaks that power line safely and only uses milliamps to operate. Understand that it can take less than an amp to kill you under the right circumstances. Use the switch to control the relay and the relay to feed the main power to the lights.