IGNORED

Rusty Muffler Fix Response

igya

I put this same post in the original thread but decided to do it again with a new thread since I was so slow responding to the last questions.

Sorry about the delay responding. Been in south Louisiana piggin' out on Cajun cookin'! Use duct tape to protect the chrome and a sawzall (reciprocating saw) to make the cut right past the seam (on the exit side of seam) as it drops to a cone. Smooth out edges with an orbital sander. Paint the insides with high temp black paint. Be careful and don't cut into the inner pipe until you decide how far you want it to extend out of the baffle plate. Doing it this way keeps you from having to remove the mufflers.

If you're nervous about cutting, leave extra metal that can be slowly ground down with a 4-1/2" angle grinder.

i saw a muffler off of dragonslayers bike sat. it has 3 tach welds on the non chrome part could i grind them off or do i need to leave that lip you said it sounds good but it is not very very loud is it and thanks for you help

I'm not sure what you're talking about concerning 3 weld points on the non-chrome part. Just as the tip of the muffler starts to reduce to a cone, there's a seam. Cut on the back side of the seam (toward the rear of bike) because there's a baffle where the seam is that you need to leave in place. I left the steel tube coming through the center of the baffle about an inch long and drilled four 5/16" holes around the tube. That gave it a very powerful sound that mellows out to almost nothing at about 40mph. Keep in mind that this is a 1985 (1st generation) Venture Royale.

I'm not sure what you're talking about concerning 3 weld points on the non-chrome part. Just as the tip of the muffler starts to reduce to a cone, there's a seam. Cut on the back side of the seam (toward the rear of bike) because there's a baffle where the seam is that you need to leave in place. I left the steel tube coming through the center of the baffle about an inch long and drilled four 5/16" holes around the tube. That gave it a very powerful sound that mellows out to almost nothing at about 40mph. Keep in mind that this is a 1985 (1st generation) Venture Royale.

The weld points are on the back side i just looked at mine it does not have them i under stand now cut past the seem from the muffle to the tip.cut into the tip hey thanks for your help

The weld points are on the back side i just looked at mine it does not have them i under stand now cut past the seem from the muffle to the tip.cut into the tip hey thanks for your help

Don't forget to paint the inside of the cut-off with a high temp black paint after brushing out as much surface rust as possible.