IGNORED

I basket no good!!!!!

just put my secound I basket in and it still makes the same noise. that sucker still screams at about 24-32 hundred rpms. it is even lowder than the g basket i took out . I wish i had a H basket to put in or a p-q-r-m-or somthing to stop the noise lol.

:crying: and on top of that my shock just started leaking, and my guy at the dealer said he had to have my bike long enough to take picture of shock -send it in before they would send another to us. he said this takes about 2 weeks??? O-

O-what will i do for 2 weeks?? :crying:

just put my secound I basket in and it still makes the same noise. that sucker still screams at about 24-32 hundred rpms. it is even lowder than the g basket i took out . I wish i had a H basket to put in or a p-q-r-m-or somthing to stop the noise lol.

:crying: and on top of that my shock just started leaking, and my guy at the dealer said he had to have my bike long enough to take picture of shock -send it in before they would send another to us. he said this takes about 2 weeks??? O-

O-what will i do for 2 weeks?? :crying:

I have absolutely no idea what basket letter is in QuickSilver (my 05), but if you wanna ride up here to Fort Worth I'd be happy to test exchanging mine with yours just to see what happens.

Goose

Yup - the whine is only bad in a small number of these bike, but when it is, it can make ownership a real drag. That is why I keep recommending that no one ever by an RSV without an extended test ride! ESPECIALLY not a used one with low mileage.

Of course, I bought my 07 just like that and sight-unseen, against my own advice! But I trusted one of our members here (he shafted me on a couple of things with that bike, but at least it didn't whine too bad). The point is, you just can't be sure unless you have ridden it a few miles.

Goose

Hey silver bullet,

Sorry to hear about the noise. It's possible it could be the rear end. I have posted about this before, but my bike was screaming so bad someone riding next to me could hear it. It was the rear diff. Yamaha can send a factory rep to check out your bike. If the dealer won't or can't get a factory rep to look at your bike you need to call yamaha. My dealer told me they had a case with a warrior they couldn't get right so after a factory rep looked at it yamaha told them to ship the bike back to the factory and gave the customer a new bike. Yamaha won't just lay down and give you a new bike but it has happened. As far as the shock, I don't understand why your dealer would tell you he had to send a picture. My rear shock was replaced by yamaha with no questions asked. The general manager at the dealership I use told me anything that cost $750.00 or less could be replaced under warranty without getting approval from yamaha as long as the dealer said it was apparent that it was a defect and not abuse. If you don't get any satisfaction from your dealer about getting a factory rep to look at your bike send me an email and I will give you the number to call a district customer service rep.

The " I" basket didn't mine either. After several thousand miles it is just as loud as before. It seems to me there is two different nosies. Put a set of ultra Classit mufflers on and it did help to block out the noise.

tew47

Seems to me it should be real easy to tell the difference between an engine whine and a rear-end whine.

An engine while will occur at the same RPM range in any gear. A tach certainly makes this easier to identify, but not a requirement.

A rear end whine will NOT be RPM dependent. Period. It make come and go with different speeds and loads, but it will be totally independent of engine RPM and gear selected.

Goose

Mine was changed out. It was really loud. The regional rep was at the dealer and he told them to change it out. He also told me to use Yamaha semi synthetic oil. He offered to pay for the oil. Much less noise than before... Nice gut to deal with. His name is Al Harper...

Al Harper was the yamaha rep that looked at my bike the last time a rep looked at my bike. He seems to be fair and will do what it takes to make you happy. I first met him 2 years ago in Myrtle Beach at the Star demo ride trailer. When I told him I was from Albany Georgia and had some problems with the rear end he immediately said, you have an 05 Venture. I asked him how he knew because at that time he hadn't looked at my bike and he said they, meaning the regional service manager and other field reps, had discussed the problems I was having. I think I was on the third rear diff at that time. But anyway, it made me feel good to know that the yamaha reps do discuss problems people are having with their bikes and even though he hadn't looked at my bike he remembered the problems I was having.

like mr. goose said [it's easy to tell the diffrence between clutch and rear end]. the noise will be at the same rpm in any gear if is the clutch.[which mine dose] I don't think any one in the whole USofA has changed the c-basket more than me .I am now on my 5th basket. still have the same noise.both I- baskets made more noise than did the others. so i'll be watching for a good h-basket to replace the new I-basket I just installed.did the rear end thing did'nt work for me.

Mine makes the noise even when sitting still just reving the motor.....:confused24: OK, just a thought here, I`m sure this has addressed in the past but I missed it, Is a Vmax or a 1st gen clutch basket the same size?? will they enter change?? if so, has any one tried doing that?? I thought I saw a pic of a basket on here, that looked like it had a wear mark on the inside next to the hole, is this what is making the noise? if so, i would think a micro thin teflon washer would solve that..I don`t know, I`m just throwing things out there...

Kreg

According to Al Harper, the I basket change out is a one shot deal. Then you have a choice of keeping the new one installed, or they will put your old one back in for free...

I think one thing that made a difference was using the Yamaha semi synthetic oil as suggested by Al.....

Mine makes the noise even when sitting still just reving the motor.....:confused24: OK, just a thought here, I`m sure this has addressed in the past but I missed it, Is a Vmax or a 1st gen clutch basket the same size?? will they enter change?? if so, has any one tried doing that?? I thought I saw a pic of a basket on here, that looked like it had a wear mark on the inside next to the hole, is this what is making the noise? if so, i would think a micro thin teflon washer would solve that..I don`t know, I`m just throwing things out there...

Kreg

Just wanting to see if anyone has thoughts on a Vmax or 1st. gen basket in a 2nd gen

Just wanting to see if anyone has thoughts on a Vmax or 1st. gen basket in a 2nd gen

Might be worth trying.

Has anybody considered that it might be some other part of the motorcycle thats vibrating, hitting a Resonant Point. I'm thinking some other piece of metal, or somthing, a bracket, heat shield etc etc etc. Sometimes a piece of metal that is Resonant, to a Vibration can get real loud.

I don't have a 2nd gen, but if I did, and was experiencing the noise I would check into that. Maby some loose nuts or bolts that the factory is not getting tight ??

This is just speculation, but--- Anybody up to checking into that angle ??

Jack,

I really think that the "I" basket is being used as a cure-all for any primary gear whine. However it's my experience that the "I" basket (aka Primary Driven Gear) will only cure the problem when the bike currently has a "H" basket in it. I have cured a bike with a "F" basket by replacing it with a "G" basket.

If I were you I would check with the dealer that did the change and see which basket came out of it. There will be an alpha character hand etched on the back side of the gear, not anything stamped on the gear. And I'm thinking that they should have the basket setting on a shelf. The problem with checking which gear you have is that you have to completely take the basket out to see the backside of the gear.

Good luck,

Rick