IGNORED

Heated Grips

GeorgeS

Question: Whats the agreed upon best heated grip option for a 1st Gen. ???

Something I been meaning to do, seems like a good project for the next couple of weeks.

What works best?

Don't have a 1st Gen, but I have used a couple of different styles of grip heaters. Aerostitch sells a set for less than $30 that has two pads that wrap under your grips. The problem I had with them was they use a big resistor to even the heat out and the wires running to it are very thin, so of course that is where mine broke. I bought a couple more sets from casporttouring.com. They are made by Symtec and get away from using the resistor by having the two pads with different resistance. I finished mounting a set on my wife's bike just before Christmas and it seems to work OK, haven't really had an opportunity to check them out on cold days.

Guest tx2sturgis

I use these:

http://www.hotgrips.com/

http://www.hotgrips.com/reviews.php

I have a set on both bikes. I also use the variable controller. The model that fits the late model Ventures is the 475-100 open end. You will have to grind down the ribs on the throttle sleeve, but this is easy with a dremel tool.

The grips work great!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Anybody tried the HEAT DEMONS, the heaters that mount inside the bars, leaving the stock grips and weights in place?

I've seen those, but decided against them. I'm not sure how you would mount them inside, when the weights have the threaded fitting in the way, and also, the throttle sleeve and grip does not really fit snugly enough to transfer much heat, or so it seems to me. I believe they are made primarily for ATVs and snowmobiles where the throttle side grip is a normal grip that mounts snug to the bar.

By the way, these HotGrips allow retaining of the stock weights.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Been shopping all the different brands of heated grips, looks like the " Hot Grips "

is pretty good quality.

As to Part Number, looks like the # 575-875 is the correct. 7/8 bars, and 5 3/4 length.

Has anybody mounted these on a first Gen ?? If so, any comments ??

I'm all ears today---

Edited by GeorgeS

Been shopping all the different brands of heated grips, looks like the " Hot Grips "

is pretty good quality.

As to Part Number, looks like the # 575-875 is the correct. 7/8 bars, and 5 3/4 length.

Has anybody mounted these on a first Gen ?? If so, any comments ??

I'm all ears today---

Ok, order is in, ( Hot Grips ) will see how it goes. I need new set of grips anyway. Most reviews I found on this product seem favoriable.

• 2 weeks later...
Question: Whats the agreed upon best heated grip option for a 1st Gen. ???

Something I been meaning to do, seems like a good project for the next couple of weeks.

What works best?

Heated grips are great if you want to keep the inside of your hands warm. I don't know about other people but it's the outside of my hands that get cold.

Try heated glove liners, they keep both sides of your hands warm.