IGNORED

where to get a key made

I got one for my RSTD made at ACE hardware. They have blanks for all makes of motorcycles. I don't think Walmart has them. If you can't find one let me know and i will get one and send it to you.

Thanks i will check after the holidays. I need on ecause i seem to have lost 1 of my 2 and while i'm at it i might get 2 of them made. Thanks again.

:thumbsup2:

+1 on Ace. I bought the bike used and the ignition was replaced at one point so I was using 2 keys. One for ignition and one for the bags/trunk. I had one side cut for the ignition and one side cut for the bags/trunk.

Works like a charm. You have to work the bags/trunk a little bit but it works. I am thinking about putting some graphite in the bags/trunk locks to help lubricate it a bit.

I had mine made at a local locksmith. They had the blanks in stock.

If you go to Ace/True Value/Hardware Hank/etc. make sure you test it before walking away. I tried to have one done at a hardware store and it didn't work. Apparently, the key machine was worn out since it doesn't appear to be rocket science to make a key.

They are about $1 at the hardware store, about $2 at a locksmith. Just my $0.02.

RR

I had mine made at a local locksmith. They had the blanks in stock.

If you go to Ace/True Value/Hardware Hank/etc. make sure you test it before walking away. I tried to have one done at a hardware store and it didn't work. Apparently, the key machine was worn out since it doesn't appear to be rocket science to make a key.

They are about $1 at the hardware store, about $2 at a locksmith. Just my $0.02.

RR

cool thanks. i think if it doesn't fit they will make one that does. i'll ride old Blue up there to make sure of the fit.

The key for the 2007 Venture is actually a Ford motor co. blank if all else fails go to Ford:rasberry:

(sorry i don't remember the key#):starz:

Funny you should mention that. The Ace guy said way back in the day, Ford used 2 different cuts on each side of the key just like what he did for me. He said you could start 2 different Fords that way.

Like others are posting, Ace is the place to go. The first key I had made was at a "Keys Made" kiosk in Sears parking lot, but then I found out about ACE. Here are the blank numbers: Ilco ym63, Tayler X 248, Curtis yn 63, Silca yh35r

Check with ACE and if you need more help, let me know..

Keep the rubber side down.

MIKE aka Uturn

:080402gudl_prv:

Funny you should mention that. The Ace guy said way back in the day, Ford used 2 different cuts on each side of the key just like what he did for me. He said you could start 2 different Fords that way.

You can still do this... we have 2 fords and one key! And we only go to True Value to get keys made.... When we are down to one ford and the bike, I'm gonna do it again!

Honey

Edited by Honey
typo