IGNORED

Windshield Trouble on 07 venture

I have a 07 Venture and I have had 3 Windshields put on it by my local Yamaha dealer. It seems to crack below the chrome where the bolts are put in and splits up the windshield. I think that they are stumped and so am I. They were not very happy when I told them it is ready for another one. Any Ideas? Thanks, Tonto01

The mounting bar is bent. May also not be attached correctly. In addition, the small tabs on the fairing at the end of the bar that should secure the bar from excess vibration are broken. One brand new RSV I worked on didn't even have bolts in the center of the mounting bracket - just one zip strap (can you say "really dumb dealer?" Sure you can)!

I have worked on a number of these windshields and mounting bars, and EVERY ONE has had a mounting bar that needed some reshaping to match the curve of the fairing. Most are fairly good, but a couple have been so bad that the windshield clearly did not fit correctly. A number of our members watched me reshape one at Don's maintenance day last year. They should probably just order you a new bracket instead of trying to fix the old one.

While they are in there replacing the next windshield, take a look at those broken tabs and have them replace the inside fairing too, then go to the tech library and find out how to make a brace that will fix that problem. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

How long would a windshield last on your bike before they replace it? So far so good on my end and I don't want to open up the fairing yet until I really have to.

Three cracked windshields??? I hope your dealership can narrow down the cause of the problem and have it resolved and fixed. Going back and forth to the shop can also be a nuisance.

Do you have any pics of your cracked windshield?

Thanks to all,

They took all apart and sent pictures to Yamaha last time. I think they should replace all the parts that touch the windshield. The last one lasted 10 days before the first split started. It will split at almost every bolt. Going back for #4. Yamaha is not very happy these things are not cheap.

Thanks,

Tonto01

Thanks to all,

I think they should replace all the parts that touch the windshield. The last one lasted 10 days before the first split started. It will split at almost every bolt. Going back for #4. Yamaha is not very happy these things are not cheap.

Thanks,

Tonto01

If they had set it all up properly the 1st time they wouldn't be haveing to redo it. It is a warrenty issue which they have to honor like it or not. I think the 07's have had a lot more problems than most years. Everything from this winsheild thing down to the amps in the stereo doing funky stuff. Stay on top of em till they get it right or invoke the "Lemon law" on em

I think that I have the real dudd! When the bike had only 1100 miles on it I was on vacation and a bearing went out in the back wheel. Then the windshield thing started. The last time it was in the shop it was for a windshield and the rearend had to be aligned again. (I thought it was another bearing). Now it is going back to the shop for the same 2 things. I love the bike I also have a 04 roadstar silverado that is wonderful, but I truely think I have a Dudd!

Tonto01

The sound was a loud growling sound. You could here it when you went by a guard railing, but by the time I got to where I could find a shop there were no looking for it, it was louddddddd! It sounded like the gears in the rearend were all in peices. Not very good luck, but we found a wonderful dealer in Lexington, Ky he put a whole new wheel on the bike so we could continue on our vacation.

Tonto01